Latest State Department Rules for When Visa Applicants Must Supply Police Certificates

At one time, the general rule for people applying for immigrant visas to the U.S. (which lead to a green card) was that they needed to supply a police certificate (detailing their arrest records) for any country, or locality, in which they had lived since the age of 16.

More recently, however, the U.S. State Department has published a slightly different set of rules. You must now supply police certificates if you:

  • have been living in your country of nationality at your current residence for more than six months
  • have lived in a different part of your country for more than six months, or
  • have lived in a different country for more than 12 months.

For more information, consult an attorney or see the State Department’s list of “Documents the Applicant Must Submit to the NVC.”