Virginia extends special protections to tenants who are victims of domestic violence. Here are some of the domestic violence (DV) laws that apply to tenants:
- Landlord entitled to proof of DV status
- Landlord cannot terminate a victim of DV
- Early termination right for DV victim
- DV victim has the right to have the locks changed
- Landlord or court may bifurcate the lease, which means that the landlord may evict the abuse, but not the victim of the domestic violence.
Check the Virginia statute (Va. Code Ann. § §â