Vermont Disability Benefits: Social Security Filing and Benefit Information

Find out about Vermont's state supplemental payments, plus how to appeal a denial of Social Security disability or SSI and whether you qualify for Medicaid.

If you live in Vermont and become so ill or injured that you can't work for a year or more, you can apply for Social Security disability benefits (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Both programs are run by the federal Social Security Administration, but the State of Vermont plays a hand in deciding whether you are disabled and how much SSI you receive.

Vermont Disability Determination Services

After you submit a disability application, Social Security checks to see if you meet the technical requirements for SSDI (that is, you've worked enough years to be insured by Social Security) or SSI (that is, your income and assets are low enough). If you do, Social Security forwards your application to Vermont Disability Determination Services (DDS). DDS is a state agency under the Vermont Department for Children and Families. At DDS, a disability claims examiner will review your medical records, perhaps send you for a consultative exam with a Social Security doctor, and then decide whether you're disabled. Here is contact information for DDS.

Vermont Disability Determination Services
93 Pilgrim Park Road
Suite 6
Waterbury, VT 05676
(802) 241-2463

Vermont State Supplement to SSI

Vermont pays an additional sum of money to SSI recipients in Vermont. You don't need to apply separately for the Vermont supplement; SSA will pay the additional amount automatically. The amount of the supplement depends on your living circumstances. This chart outlines the combined federal and state SSI amounts for SSI recipients without other income.

Living Situation


Living alone (or with spouse)


Living in another’s household


Living in an assistive community care center


Living in a licensed community care center


Living in a custodial family home


Living in a Medicaid nursing home


Disability Appeals in Vermont

Social Security's Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR) manages and hosts disability appeal hearings. The ODAR hearing office in Manchester, NH handles most disability appeal hearings for Vermont residents. Here is its contact information.

Office of Disability Adjudication and Review
1750 Elm Street
Suite 303
Manchester, NH 03104
(888) 318-7973

Vermont Disability Lawyers

To hire a lawyer to represent you at a disability appeal hearing, use our disability lawyer locator to find a lawyer near you in Vermon

Talk to a Disability Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Get the compensation you deserve.

We've helped 225 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you