Student Loans: Cancellation, Deferment, and Forbearance

How to defer your student loan payments, or cancel your loans altogether.

If you can't make payments on one or more of your student loans, you may be able to get temporary or permanent relief from making payments.

Learn about your options before you go into default. If you default on your student loans, you will suffer negative consequences. For example:

  • Your credit will be damaged.
  • Your loan balance will increase dramatically as collection fees are added to the pot.
  • In the worst-case scenario, your loan holder will take aggressive action to get the loan money from you, including taking a portion of your paycheck or your tax refund. (For information on how the lender can collect student loans, see Nolo's article What Happens If You Default on Your Student Loans.)

Your Options

If you are unable to make loan payments, some options include:

Deferring or Forbearing Your Student Loans

A deferment excuses you from making student loan payments for a set period of time because of a specific condition in your lifelike returning to school, economic hardship, or unemployment. Interest will not accrue on subsidized loans during the deferment period.

In a forbearance, your loan holder gives you permission to stop making payments for a set period of time or to temporarily reduce payments. Interest always continues to accrue during a forbearance. In some circumstances, a forbearance may be available even if you have defaulted.

Canceling Student Loans

In certain limited circumstances, you may be able to cancel your student loanmeaning that you no longer have to pay it. Doing this is not easy; you'll have to meet specific conditions depending on the type of loan you have.

Often, when you cancel your loan, the government will also reimburse you for payments already made, and help clean up your credit record. In some situations, you won't be able to cancel the entire loan, but you may be able to get rid of a portion of the loan.

Loan cancellation (also called loan discharge) is available only in certain, specific situations, including:

  • you attended a school that closed
  • you didn't get a refund where appropriate
  • your school falsely certified that you would benefit from the education and you don't have a GED or high school diploma
  • you attended a Corinthian College
  • you work in certain occupations after graduation (like teaching or some public service jobs), and
  • you are disabled or die. (Learn more about student loan relief.)

Learn More

Go to the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid website to get extensive information about cancellation, deferment, and forbearance for federal student loans.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Debt Settlement Lawyer.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you