States That Prohibit Deficiency Judgments Following Short Sales

Most states allow deficiency judgments after a short sale.

If you're a homeowner having trouble making your monthly mortgage payments, a short sale might sound like the perfect solution to avoid foreclosure. If you are considering this route, though, you might still be on the hook for any amount that exceeds the short sale price (called a "deficiency"). Most states allow lenders to obtain a deficiency judgment following a short sale, but a couple of states prohibit this.

What's a Short Sale?

In a short sale, the homeowner sells the home for less than the total debt balance remaining on the mortgage. The lender agrees to accept the sale proceeds and release the lien on the property. The proceeds of the sale pay off a portion of the mortgage balance. Short sales are one way borrowers can avoid foreclosure. (Learn more about short sales to avoid of foreclosure.)

What's a Deficiency Judgment?

When you short sell your home, the total debt owed exceeds the sale price. (The sale proceeds are "short" of the amount needed to repay the debt.)

The difference between the sale price and the total debt is called a “deficiency.”

Example. Say the total debt owed is $200,000, but the home sells for $150,000 at the short sale. The deficiency is $50,000.

In some states, the lender can seek a personal judgment against the borrower to recover the deficiency. Generally, once a deficiency judgment has been obtained, the lender may collect this amount—in our example, $50,000—from the borrower by doing such things as garnishing wages or levying a bank account. (To learn more about deficiency judgments in the foreclosure context, see Deficiency Judgments: Will You Still Owe Money After the Foreclosure?)

A Couple of States Prohibit Deficiency Judgments Following Short Sales

In most states, the lender can go after the homeowner for a deficiency judgment after a short sale. But a couple of states—like California and Nevada—have laws that prohibit deficiency judgments following a short sale under certain circumstances. (To learn the law in your state, talk to an attorney.)

What to Do if You Live in a State that Allows Deficiency Judgments Following Short Sales

If you live in a state that doesn't have a law that prohibits a deficiency judgment following a short sale, you can avoid one by getting the lender to waive of the deficiency. The short sale agreement must expressly state that the lender waives its right to the deficiency and that the transaction is in full satisfaction of the debt. If the short sale agreement does not contain this waiver, the lender might later file a lawsuit against you to obtain a deficiency judgment after the short sale is completed. (If the lender does eventually get a deficiency judgment, you might be able to eliminate your personal liability by filing for bankruptcy.)

Getting Help

If you need help arranging a short sale and otherwise dealing with a foreclosure, consider talking to a foreclosure lawyer. A HUD-approved housing counselor can also provide you with information about different options to avoid a foreclosure, like a short sale.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you