Rhode Island Reference Laws

Learn when employers in Rhode Island can be sued for defamation.

When you’re searching for a new job, you may be concerned about what your former employer will say to companies that call and ask for information about you. References often make the difference between getting a job offer and receiving a rejection letter. If a former employer is giving out false or misleading information about you, it could doom your job search.

Employers in Rhode Island who provide reference information to prospective employers are protected from legal liability.  As long as the employer acts in good faith and doesn’t lie or otherwise go beyond what the law allows, the employer can’t be sued for defamation. However, if a former employer acts maliciously or otherwise crosses the legal line, and you lose job opportunities because of it, you may have a legal claim.

How References Can Lead to Defamation Claims

To prove defamation, the plaintiff (the person bringing the lawsuit) must show that someone made false and damaging statements about him or her. In the context of employment, defamation claims nearly always focus on statements the employer makes about the employee once the employment relationship ends. Typically, a former employee claims that the employer made false, negative statements about the employee’s performance to a prospective employer who called for a reference, and the prospective employer decided not to offer the employee a job (or to rescind a job offer) because of the poor reference.  (To learn more about defamation claims, see  Defamation Lawsuits: Do You Have a Case Against a Former Employer?)

Rhode Island Reference Laws

Employers in Rhode Island may not be sued for defamation (in legal terms, they are “immune” from liability) if they provide fair and unbiased information about an employee’s job performance to a prospective employer, at the request of the prospective employer or the employee.

An employer who gives a reference is presumed to be acting in good faith. This means that the employer has immunity from defamation lawsuits unless the employee can prove that:

  • the employer knowingly provided false information
  • the employer was deliberately misleading
  • the information was disclosed for a malicious purpose, or
  • providing the information violated the employee’s civil rights under current employment discrimination laws.

Getting a Reference

Some employees wish their former employers would keep their mouths shut, but some employees face the opposite problem: They want a former employer to provide information, but the employer isn't willing to speak up. Some employers are so fearful of defamation claims that they won't give references under any circumstances.

To remedy this situation, some states have enacted service letter laws. These laws require employers to provide former employees with certain basic information, in writing, about their employment. Rhode Island doesn’t have a service letter law, however.  

If you want a former employer to provide a detailed reference, you might consider signing a release: an agreement giving the employer permission to respond to prospective employers who call for a reference, and giving up your right to sue the employer for anything said as part of that process.

However, you should consider this only if you are absolutely certain that the reference will be positive. It may be a good idea to give up your legal right to sue in exchange for a reference that will help you land a position, but you don’t want to sign away your rights only to find that you have no recourse against a former employer who damaged your reputation and job prospects. For more information, see  Getting Good Job References. For information on your legal rights during the hiring process, see Nolo's articles on  Getting Hired.  

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Swipe to view more

Talk to an Employment Rights attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you