Does getting a provisional waiver mean that my immigrant visa will for sure be granted?

The provisional waiver is a good start, but no guarantee that a U.S. consulate will approve your immigrant visa and thus U.S. green card.


I am married to a U.S. citizen, but I entered the United States without inspection. I have delayed in submitting any paperwork to obtain an immigrant visa, because I was worried about getting stuck in my home country away from my husband and children. I recently learned about the provisional waiver of unlawful presence. If I am approved for this stateside waiver, does this mean that I can definitely get my green card after I leave the United States?


No, nothing is for sure, but the provisional waiver may make the process a lot easier for you. Keep in mind that the provisional waiver of unlawful presence (which became available on and after March 4, 2013), is not a grant of legal status in the U.S. or an immigrant visa (green card). You will still need to leave the U.S. to interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate to have your visa approved, at which time your visa could be denied for any of a number of reasons.

If you are granted a provisional waiver, however, what it WILL do is give you reassurance before you leave the U.S. that your unlawful presence will in all likelihood not be used as a ground for denial of your immigrant visa. (This is why it is also known as the "stateside waiver.") It will also save you time: If you pass your interview and are approved for your green card, you will likely only need to stay outside the U.S. for a few weeks.

And at least you will have gotten over the biggest hurdle by obtaining a provisional waiver before you leave the United States. After all, in order to receive the stateside waiver – which is completely discretionary, meaning that the USCIS's decision whether to grant or deny it can be made on subjective grounds -- you must have shown that your U.S. family members will otherwise experience “extreme hardship.” This can be a tricky proposition, and may require the help of an immigration attorney. To learn more about the provisional waiver, see “Who is Eligible for Provisional Waiver of the Three- or Ten-Year Time Bar.”

Even after the provisional waiver is granted by USCIS, however, the U.S. embassy or consulate could deny your immigrant visa and green card for reasons other than your unlawful presence. The most likely problem would be that you are inadmissible on other grounds, such as past criminal convictions or a communicable disease that was discovered after you took your medical exam (which is done in your home country). In such a case, unless you qualify and apply for an additional waiver, your immigrant visa will be denied. For more on this, see “Inadmissibility: When the U.S. Can Keep You Out.” If you are suspected of marriage fraud or if your marriage fails before you receive your immigrant visa, your visa will also be denied.

There's one more decision-maker in the process, too: After the consulate has approved you for U.S. residence, you could run into issues at the border. U.S. border officials will review your visa documentation, and they have the final say as to whether to admit you to the United States.

If you think that any of the above issues may apply to you, consult an experienced attorney before filing any immigration paperwork.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you