Kentucky Homeownership and Protection Center

The Kentucky Homeownership Protection Center (Protection Center) provides free help to struggling Kentucky homeowners through counseling, legal advice, and mortgage payment assistance.

The Kentucky Homeownership Protection Center (Protection Center) provides free help to Kentucky residents who are currently delinquent on their home loan, or may become delinquent, and are facing a possible foreclosure. Read on to learn more about the Protection Center, what types of assistance are available, and how to obtain help.

To learn about foreclosure procedures in Kentucky, and programs to assist Kentucky homeowners, visit our Kentucky Foreclosure Law Center.

The Kentucky Homeownership Protection Center: Background Information

The 2008 Kentucky General Assembly established the Protection Center to deal with the state’s foreclosure crisis. It is a joint effort of the Department of Financial Institutions, Kentucky Housing Corporation, as well as several other agencies, and is administered by the Kentucky Housing Corporation. The goal of the Protection Center is to help struggling Kentucky homeowners keep their homes.

Get Free Assistance Through the Protection Center

The Protection Center provides assistance to at-risk homeowners including:

  • free counseling services
  • free legal advice, and
  • mortgage payment assistance through the Unemployment Bridge Program (funded by the Hardest Hit Fund).

To learn about other options for dealing with foreclosure, visit Nolo's Foreclosure section.

Foreclosure Avoidance Counseling

Homeowners who are at risk of falling behind in their mortgage payments or who are facing foreclosure due to delinquent payments can speak with a housing counselor free of charge. The counselor can provide advice and information about various options to avoid foreclosure. For example, counselors can provide assistance with:

  • budgeting
  • coming up with a financial plan, and
  • contacting lenders to discuss loss mitigation.

To find out more about loss mitigation, see our Alternatives to Foreclosure area.

The counselor will review your particular financial situation and help you find the best solution to your specific situation, as well as let you know if you qualify for any government programs. (To learn about government programs for distressed homeowners, visit Nolo's Government Foreclosure Prevention Programs area.)

Transitional Counseling

If you’ve decided to execute a short sale, deed in lieu of foreclosure, or simply let the foreclosure proceed, a counselor can provide transitional counseling as well. (See our Short Sales and Deeds in Lieu of Foreclosure area for more information on these topics.)

You can obtain information about:

  • cash for keys programs (where the new owner of the property pays you to move out of the property)
  • where to live after you leave the property
  • how to afford the cost of moving
  • how to rebuild your finances, and
  • helpful public services (such as food stamps, unemployment benefits, etc).

Free Legal Advice

In addition to free counseling services, you could qualify for free legal advice depending on your income, assets, and the type of problem you have. Contact the Protection Center at 866-830-7868 to find out about eligibility.

Mortgage Payment Assistance Through the Hardest Hit Fund

In 2010, the U.S. Department of the Treasury created the Hardest Hit Fund to provide targeted aid to homeowners in those states most affected by the housing market crash. As part of this program, Kentucky received over $148 million to provide assistance to homeowners who are struggling to make their mortgage payments. To do this, Kentucky set up the Unemployment Bridge Program, which makes mortgage payments on behalf of unemployed and underemployed homeowners.

General eligibility requirements. To be eligible for assistance from the program, you must have experienced a job loss or reduction in income due to changing economic conditions through no fault of your own, and demonstrate a need for assistance.

The program will advance an initial payment of up to $12,500 to pay past-due amounts and reinstate the loan, as well as make upcoming payments, though the maximum amount of assistance is limited to:

  • $30,000 per household, or
  • 18 months of assistance (whichever occurs first).

Program assistance is in the form of a forgivable loan.

Learn more about qualifying for Unemployment Bridge Program assistance and find out the details of the program in our article Kentucky Mortgage Assistance for Unemployed Homeowners.

To learn more about the Hardest Hit Fund and the various state programs funded by it, visit out Hardest Hit Fund topic page.

Contact Your Servicer Too

In addition to seeking help from the Protection Center, you can call your loan servicer (the company that collects and manages your mortgage payments) directly to be evaluated for foreclosure prevention options.

Your servicer's name and contact information is listed on the monthly mortgage statement or coupons you receive to make your payments.

Beware of Scams

The Protection Center is a no-cost resource for Kentucky homeowners. If you find a company that advertises similar services for a fee, such as for counseling services or applying to Unemployment Bridge Program, it is most likely a scam. You should not pay for any services associated with this type of assistance.

Contact the Protection Center

To request help through the Protection Center, go to and click on the “Get Free Help” button to fill out an online form.

You can also call the Protection Center at 866-830-7868 (toll-free in Kentucky) to get immediate assistance.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Swipe to view more

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you