Idaho Reference Laws

Learn when an Idaho employer can be sued for defamation for providing a reference.

If you’ve lost your job in Idaho, you may be concerned about what your former employer will say to companies that ask for a reference. References often make the difference between landing a new job and receiving a rejection letter. If a former employer is giving out false or misleading information about you, it could doom your job search.  

Like most states, Idaho protects employers who provide certain kinds of reference information to prospective employers from being sued. But  if a former employer lies, acts maliciously, or otherwise crosses the legal line, and you lose job opportunities because of it, you may have a legal claim.

How References Can Lead to Defamation Claims

To prove defamation, the  person bringing the lawsuit must show that someone made false and damaging statements about him or her. In the context of employment, defamation claims nearly always focus on statements the employer makes about the employee once the employment relationship ends. Typically, a former employee claims that the employer made false, negative statements about the employee’s performance to a prospective employer who called for a reference, and the prospective employer decided not to offer the employee a job (or to rescind a job offer) because of the poor reference.  (To learn more about defamation claims, see  Defamation Lawsuits: Do You Have a Case Against a Former Employer?)

Idaho Reference Law

In Idaho, an employer is immune from liability (that is, the employer may not be sued) for providing reference information to a prospective employer, at the request of the prospective employer or the employee, about the employee’s:

  • job performance
  • evaluation, or
  • professional conduct.

An employer who provides this information is presumed to be acting in good faith. However, an employee may rebut this presumption and sue the employer for defamation if the employee can prove, by clear and convincing evidence, that the employer provided the information with a deliberate intent to mislead or with actual malice. Actual malice means that the employer provided the information knowing it was false or with deliberate disregard to its truth or falsity.  

Getting a Reference

While some employees wish their former employers would keep quiet, some employees face the opposite problem: They want a former employer to provide information, but the employer isn't willing to speak up. Some employers are so fearful of defamation claims that they won't give references under any circumstances. Although Idaho’s reference law is intended to encourage reluctant employers to provide reference information, Idaho law does not require employers to give references.

To remedy this situation, some states have enacted service letter laws. These laws require employers to provide former employees with certain basic information, in writing, about their employment. However, Idaho has no service letter law.

If you want a former employer to provide more detailed information than the law requires, you might consider signing a release: an agreement giving the employer permission to respond to prospective employers who call for a reference, and giving up your right to sue the employer for anything said as part of that process.

However, this makes sense only if you are absolutely certain that the reference will be positive. It may be worth giving up your legal right to sue in exchange for a reference that will help you land a position, but you don’t want to sign away your rights only to find that you have no recourse against a former employer who damaged your reputation and job prospects. For more information, see  Getting Good Job References. For information on your legal rights during the hiring process, see Nolo's articles on  Getting Hired.  

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Swipe to view more

Talk to an Employment Rights attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you