How to Get a New Green Card If Yours Has Mistakes or Is Lost or Stolen

Whether USCIS sends you a green card with the wrong name or you later lose it in the U.S. or abroad, there's a standard way to fix things, by filling out the appropriate USCIS form.

If you are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., you should have a green card as evidence of your status. In fact, the law requires you to carry your green card with you at all times. And you will want to be able to show it if asked by an employer about your eligibility to work, or for purposes of returning to the United States after travel to another country.

Carrying your green card comes with risk, however. Your green card might be lost, stolen, or otherwise mutilated or destroyed. In any of these circumstances, you will need to apply for a new one.

Another circumstance that might impel you to get a replacement green card is if the information on it is inaccurate—either because of a USCIS error or because of a change in your own life, perhaps a name change or a gender reassignment.

TIP: Report all stolen green cards to the police.

Green cards are a hot item, and there is always a possibility that yours will be stolen and sold. If this happens to you, be sure to file a police report. You may not get your card back, but when you apply for a replacement card, the report will help convince USCIS that you didn’t sell your own card.

Application Process for a Replacement Green Card

To obtain a new or replacement green card, the application is made using Form I-90, issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The form is available at your local USCIS office, by mail from 800-870-3676, or on the I-90 page of the USCIS website. You can also submit this form electronically, or through the USCIS website—though you will still have to mail in the supporting documentation, which are as follows:

  • a copy of your green card or (if you no longer have it) other proof of your identity; unless you are filing because of a USCIS error, in which case you must send your ORIGINAL green card containing the wrong information
  • a police report copy, if you filed one, and
  • evidence of any name change, such as a copy of a court order
  • evidence of gender reassignment, and/or
  • evidence of your actual information (such as a copy of a birth certificate containing the correct spelling of your name), if filing to correct a USCIS error.

You will most likely need to pay a fee for this application, which was $455 in early 2019 (but always check the Forms page of the USCIS website for the latest fees). You will likely also need to pay an $85 fee for biometrics (fingerprinting, photographing, and the electronic capture of your signature).

You can pay by check, money order, or by filling out and submitting USCIS Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions.

If the error causing your need for a new card was made by USCIS, however, you do NOT need to pay any of these fees.

Form I-90 comes with a fairly complete set of instructions, and you can read more on the I-90 page of the USCIS website.

Application Process for Return Travel Documents If Outside the U.S.

If you need to return to the United States from temporary overseas travel, but your green card (or your reentry permit) has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, then your first priority may be to get a document that allows you to board a plane or other carrier. You might not have time to both file the I-90 described above and await a new green card.

In such a case, you will want to fill out USCIS Form I-131A (available for free download on its website).

You will then pay the required fee ($575 as of 2019) through USCIS's online system. Next, you might be called for an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

The embassy or consulate should give you what's called "carrier documentation" (a letter or boarding document) within approximately two weeks. Present the document to the airline or other transportation carrier instead of your green card or reentry permit.

You will still need a new green card eventually, however. Follow the instructions above for submitting USCIS Form I-90.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to an Immigration attorney.

We've helped 85 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you