How to File a Workers' Compensation Claim in Oregon

Learn how to get benefits for your work-related injury.

If you are injured on the job, you should be entitled to Oregon workers’ compensation benefits. Workers may receive medical treatment, compensation for wage loss, and other assistance. To collect benefits, you must report your injury to your employer and meet other legal requirements.

How Does the Oregon Workers’ Compensation System Work?

The Workers’ Compensation Division oversees all Oregon workers’ comp claims. By law, most employers must have workers’ compensation coverage. Employers obtain coverage either by purchasing a workers’ comp policy from an insurance company or receiving certification from the state to self-insure. The State Accident Insurance Fund (SAIF), a not-for-profit, state-chartered insurance company, insures about half of Oregon’s employers.

Like all other states, Oregon has a no-fault workers’ compensation system. You do not need to show that your employer acted carelessly in order to receive benefits. As long as your injury happened on the job or was caused by your work activities, you are eligible for benefits.

Eligible workers may receive a variety of benefits, including:

  • temporary disability benefits (for time off work)
  • permanent disability benefits (for permanent impairments)
  • reasonable and necessary medical care
  • vocational assistance (training or education for a new line of work), and
  • death benefits.

Workers’ comp is your exclusive remedy against your employer and its insurance company. You typically cannot sue your employer and demand other compensation (for example, for "pain and suffering"). However, you may have a “third party” lawsuit if someone else’s carelessness caused your injuries (other than a coworker). To learn more, see our article on suing outside of workers’ comp.

How Do I Report an Injury?

To be eligible for workers’ comp, you must report the injury to your employer within 90 days of a work-related accident. Occupational illnesses must be reported within one year of discovering the illness’ connection to your work. If you miss these deadlines, you may lose your right to collect benefits. For smooth processing of your claim, it's best to report your work injury as soon as possible.

In Oregon, your notice must be written. Typically, injured workers complete a Report of Job Injury or Illness (Form 801), which is provided by the employer. (The form is also available online at the Division's website) However, any signed, written notice is acceptable, as long as it explains how, when, and where your injury occurred.

How Do I Get Medical Treatment?

Once you notify your employer of your injury, it should tell you how to get necessary medical treatment. Under Oregon law, you can either select your own treating doctor or one from the insurance company’s managed care organization. At your first appointment, your doctor must complete a Workers’ and Physician’s Report for Workers’ Compensation Claims (Form 827) and send it to the insurance company.

At your doctor's appointments, it is important to give accurate information about the cause of your injuries and the severity of your symptoms. Insurance companies rely heavily on initial medical records when they evaluate claims. Either downplaying or exaggerating your symptoms may result in a denial of benefits.

The Oregon Workers’ Compensation Claim Process

Your employer must send your completed Form 801 to its insurance company within five days of receipt. Once it has your claim, the insurance company will determine your eligibility for benefits. Its investigation may involve:

  • reviewing your medical records
  • analyzing your work experience, education, and wages
  • ordering a medical examination to assess your claim, and
  • sending you for a functional capacity evaluation (an evaluation that sets work restrictions).

In Oregon, the insurance company typically must pay temporary disability benefits and your reasonable and necessary medical expenses during its investigation. And, it must either approve or deny your claim within 60 days. If approved, you will receive a Notice of Acceptance that lists all your accepted injuries and medical conditions. If your claim is denied, you will receive a written notice of denial and an explanation of your appeal rights.

Appealing a Denied Workers’ Compensation Claim

If your claim is denied, you have the right to appeal by filing a request for hearing with the Division. You should consider hiring a workers’ compensation lawyer at this point. The insurance company will have a lawyer, and you may be at a disadvantage if you proceed without an attorney. You can also receive information and assistance from the Ombudsman for Injured Workers.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need professional help? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Get the compensation you deserve.

We've helped 265 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you