Handling a Tenant's Abandoned Property in Washington

Learn the rules landlords in Washington must follow to deal with property abandoned by a tenant.

When a tenant moves out of your rental unit, you may find yourself not only cleaning up and repairing damage but also dealing with personal property left behind. Usually, this will just be trash that the tenant doesn’t want, such as old wine bottles, food, and newspapers. When it’s clear that you’re dealing with garbage, you’re free to dispose of it. Remember that you can deduct the cost of cleaning up a tenant’s rental unit and making any necessary repairs from their security deposit. For details, see Washington Security Deposit Limits and Deadlines.

Getting rid of belongings that have value (whether monetary, medical, or sentimental) —such as bicycles, furniture, medicine, or family photos—is another story. Washington has specific laws for when and how you can get rid of a tenant’s abandoned personal property, and this article will explain the basics of those laws.

Please note, this article does not discuss what to do with a tenant’s property after the tenant has been evicted. Under Washington law, there are different rules and procedures for you to follow after an eviction. If you would like to view those rules, see Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 59.18.312.

Determining Whether the Property Is Abandoned

Before doing anything with the tenant’s property, you must first determine whether the property is actually abandoned. You can consider the property to be abandoned if the tenant has stopped paying rent and has indicated a desire to end the tenancy (see Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 59.18.310(1)). The tenant can do this in a variety of ways, including giving you written notice that he or she is moving or just moving out and leaving you the keys. If you are unsure whether the tenant has moved out of the rental unit, then you might want to consider bringing an eviction lawsuit against the tenant to regain legal possession of the rental unit. The Eviction Process in Washington: Rules for Landlords and Property Managershas some useful information to help you with the eviction process.

Notifying the Tenant

Once you have determined that the tenant has stopped paying rent and moved out of the rental unit, then you can enter the rental unit and consider what to do with any property the tenant left behind. Although you cannot immediately dispose of the property, you can move it to a safe, secure location. Then you must notify the tenant in writing of your intention to dispose of the property if the tenant does not claim it. The notice must include the following information:

  • the name and address of the landlord
  • the place where the property is being stored
  • a statement informing the tenant of the date that you will dispose of or sell the property if the tenant does not claim it, and
  • a statement that the tenant must pay for the costs of storage before claiming the property.

You must mail this notice to the tenant at the tenant’s last known address and any other address that you might know for the tenant.

If the tenant’s property is worth $250 or less, then you must wait seven days after giving the tenant notice before selling or disposing of the property. If the property is worth more than $250, then you must wait 45 days before selling or disposing of the property (see Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 59.18.310(2)).

Disposing of Abandoned Property

If the tenant has not claimed the property in time (either seven or 45 days), then you can either sell or dispose of the property. If you decide to sell the property, then you can use the proceeds of the sale toward money the tenant might owe you, including unpaid rent, damage to the rental unit, and the costs of storing the property. If there is any money left over, you must hold onto the money for one year from the date of the sale. If the tenant does not claim the money within that time, then you can keep it (see Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 59.18.310(2)).

Checking Terms of the Lease or Rental Agreement

Before disposing of any property left behind by the tenant, be sure to check the terms of your lease or rental agreement concerning abandoned property. Under Washington law, the lease or rental agreement cannot shorten the amount of notice you must give to the tenant. However, the terms of the lease or rental agreement could increase the notice period. For example, your lease could require you to give the tenant a 45-day notice to claim abandoned property, regardless of the value of the property (see Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 59.18.230).

When to Contact a Lawyer

If you have any questions regarding the process of determining abandonment or disposing of property left behind by a tenant, you should contact a lawyer. A lawyer will help ensure you are following the law and help protect you from liability to the tenant. Nolo’s lawyer directory can help you find a good landlord-tenant lawyer in Washington.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Landlord-Tenant attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you