Getting Your Home Back After a Property Tax Sale in Oklahoma

Oklahoma law offers limited way to redeem a house after it's been through a property tax sale.

If you lose your home to a tax sale in Oklahoma, you probably cannot get it back afterwards – unless certain limited circumstances apply. For most homeowners, this means you’ll have to pay off the delinquent taxes (plus various other amounts) before the sale is finalized in order to avoid losing your home. However, if you meet some very specific criteria, you might be able to stop the county treasurer from conducting a tax sale in the first place.

Keep reading to find out which homeowners get the right to reclaim their home after losing it in a tax sale and under what circumstances you might be exempt (excused) from a tax sale in Oklahoma.

Tax Sales in Oklahoma

If you fall three years behind in paying your property taxes in Oklahoma, the county treasurer will most likely sell your home at a tax sale. After the sale, the new owner will get a deed (title) to your home and, in most cases, you’ll lose ownership permanently. (For details on the tax sale process in Oklahoma, see What Happens If I Don't Pay Property Taxes in Oklahoma.)

When You Can Redeem Your Home

In Oklahoma, you can pay off the past-due amounts so that you can keep your home at any time before the county treasurer deeds the home to a new owner (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 68 § 3113). This is called “redeeming” the home.

Cost to redeem. To redeem the home, you must pay all accumulated taxes, interest, and costs (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 68 § 3113).

Most Oklahoma Homeowners Can’t Redeem After the New Owner Gets a Tax Deed

Sometimes, state law permits a homeowner who loses his or her home to a tax sale to get the house back by catching up on the delinquent amounts or by paying the purchaser the amount he or she paid at the sale, plus various other amounts. This is also called “redeeming the home.”

Most homeowners in Oklahoma cannot redeem after the new owner gets a deed to the property.

Who Can Redeem Following an Oklahoma Tax Sale

In Oklahoma, minors and mentally incapacitated (or partially incapacitated) persons get a year to redeem the home after the disability ends (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 68 § § 3113, 3131).

Cost to redeem. The amount required to redeem is the delinquent taxes plus interest and penalty (though not more than 10% per year) (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 68 § 3113).

When You Can Prevent a Tax Sale Even if You’re Delinquent on Taxes

Some homeowners in Oklahoma can get an exemption from a tax sale. This means your home cannot be sold at a tax sale even if you’re behind in paying your property taxes.

Who qualifies for a tax sale exemption. The county treasurer won't conduct a tax sale if:

  • your county has a population that exceeds 100,000 people
  • the property in question contains a single-family residential home
  • you live in the home and are 65 years of age or older (or have been classified as totally disabled)
  • the property is not being rented out
  • the fair market value of the property is not more than $125,000, and
  • your annual income does not exceed the HHS Poverty Guidelines that exist at the time of the potential tax sale (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 68 § 3105). (Learn more about the HHS Poverty Guidelines.)

How to get a tax sale exemption. You must submit an application (along with supporting evidence) to the county treasurer before your property is sold at a tax sale (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 68 § 3105).

Finding Oklahoma’s Tax Sale Laws

To find the statutes governing tax sales in Oklahoma, go to Title 68, § § 3101 through 3147 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you