Delaware Disability Benefits: Filing for Social Security

Find out about Delaware's state supplemental payments, plus how to appeal a denial of Social Security disability or SSI and whether you qualify for Medicaid.

By , Contributing Author
How old are you?Step 1 of 11

If you live in Delaware, you can apply for federal disability benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA). If the SSA determines that you meet its definition of disability, you may be eligible for Social Security Disability (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Although these are federal programs, the disability process is different in every state. Also, Delaware, like most other states, supplements the federal SSI payment for their disabled residents with an extra monthly payment.

Delaware does not have a state-run short-term disability program.

How Do I File an Application for Disability Benefits in Delaware?

You can file for SSDI or SSI by going to your local SSA field office. There are offices in Dover, Lewes, and New Castle. It's a good idea to make an appointment first, by calling 800-772-1213. Here are the field office addresses:

Social Security
500 W. Loockerman St., Suite 100
Dover, DE 19904

Social Security
12001 Old Vine Blvd., Suite 101
Lewes, DE 19958

Social Security
920 W. Basin Rd., Suite 200
New Castle, DE 19720

You can also file over the phone (if you can't travel or if your field office is too far away) by calling 800-772-1213 or, for SSDI only, by going online to Most SSI applicants cannot apply online.

Delaware Disability Determination Services

Delaware's Disability Determination Services is the state agency that works with the SSA to determine whether you meet the SSA's definition of disability. It is a part of Delaware's Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). Here is the contact information for Delaware's DDS:

Delaware Disability Determination Services

Physical Address:
920 W. Basin Road, Suite 300
New Castle, DE 19720

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 15711
Wilmington, DE 19885-5711

Fax: 866-373-8089

You can learn more at the DVR website.

What Will My SSI Payments Be in Delaware?

If you live in Delaware and receive SSI, you could receive a state supplemental payment, but to receive this supplement, you must live in a certified adult residential facility, assisted living facility, or adult foster care home. Individuals can receive up to $140 extra, and couples can receive up to $448 a month. These amounts are in addition to the $771/$1,157 you can receive from the federal government (in 2019). The SSA determines eligibility and administers the supplemental payments for Delaware.

Contacting a Lawyer in Delaware

If you want to talk to an experienced disability attorney about your case or have an attorney represent you at your disability appeal hearing, visit our attorney locator page to find a disability lawyer in Delaware.

Updated July 31, 2019

Talk to a Disability Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Boost Your Chance of Being Approved

Get the Compensation You Deserve

Our experts have helped thousands like you get cash benefits.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you