California Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance

If you have fallen behind on your mortgage payments because of a financial hardship, California's Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program can provide help in bringing your loan current in one lump sum payment.

If you have fallen behind on your mortgage payments because of a financial hardship, California's Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program might help you reinstate (bring your loan current in one lump sum payment) your mortgage. The program is part of Keep Your Home California. Read on to get an overview of the Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program, learn how much assistance is available, and find out if you are eligible.

Keep Your Home California

In 2010, the U.S. Department of the Treasury created the Hardest Hit Fund to provide targeted aid to homeowners in those states most affected by the housing market crash. As part of this program, $7.6 billion in aid was allocated to the 18 states, along with Washington, DC, that experienced the most extreme home price declines and high unemployment rates as a result of the economic crisis.

(Learn more about the  Hardest Hit Fund.)

Through the Hardest Hit Fund, California was awarded nearly $2 billion in funds to help eligible homeowners avoid foreclosures by way of four programs, which are collectively called Keep Your Home California (get an  Overview of Keep Your Home California). Each program provides a different type of financial assistance to low and moderate-income homeowners. The four programs are:

  • The Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program, which helps homeowners catch up on missed payments.
  • The  Principal Reduction Program, which provides funds to underwater homeowners to pay down the principal balance of a first mortgage loan.
  • The Reverse Mortgage Assistance Pilot Program, which assists senior homeowners who have fallen behind on property expenses (such as property taxes, homeowner's insurance, and HOA dues or assessments) to reinstate past-due amounts and provide advances for upcoming property expenses.

(To learn about the other programs in Keep Your Home California, visit our  California Foreclosure Law Center.)

The Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program

The Mortgage Reinstatement Assistance Program (MRAP) helps homeowners avoid foreclosure by providing funds to reinstate a delinquent mortgage loan. (Learn more about the  California foreclosure process.)

The program provides a one-time payment of up to $54,000 to cover principal, interest, taxes and insurance (PITI), as well as any escrowed homeowners' association dues or past-due assessments.

How the MRAP Program Works in California

The assistance is provided in the form of a non-recourse, non-interest bearing subordinate loan secured by a junior lien that is recorded against the property. After five years, the subordinate lien will be released. You only need to repay the loan if you sell the home for a profit or refinance (and take cash out) during that time.

MRAP can act as a gateway to other Keep Your Home California programs, including the Principal Reduction Program (subject to the overall program benefit cap of $100,000 per household).

Borrower Eligibility Criteria for MRAP

To be eligible for MRAP, you must qualify as a low or moderate-income household based certain criteria, such as (but not limited to):

  • Your household qualifies as low-to-moderate income based on per-household income thresholds set forth in the county in which you reside. (The income limits are higher than you might guess. For example, the limit is $123,600 in San Francisco county and $91,100 in San Diego county. To find out the income limits in your county, go to
  • You encountered a financial hardship.
  • You have completed and signed a Hardship Affidavit/3rd  Party Authorization documenting the reason for your hardship.
  • You have adequate income to sustain the reinstated mortgage payments.
  • You agree to provide all necessary documentation to satisfy program guidelines.

Home Eligibility Criteria for MRAP

Additionally, your existing mortgage and the property securing that mortgage must meet the below criteria.

  • The current unpaid principal balance for the first-lien mortgage loan is $729,750 or less.
  • The home is not abandoned, vacant, or condemned.
  • The property is a single-family or one-to-four unit home that is owner-occupied.
  • The property is in California.
  • The property is your primary residence.

Mobile homes are eligible if they are permanently affixed to the real property that is secured by the first lien. (Learn more about  what happens if you are struggling to pay your mobile home loan.)

MRAP Exclusions

You are not eligible for assistance through MRAP if one of the below conditions applies to you.

  • You filed bankruptcy and the bankruptcy is active. (If you previously filed bankruptcy and it was dismissed or you received a discharge, then you are eligible to apply for the program.)
  • You are less than two payments past due on the date you request assistance.
  • Your property is subject to a first priority lien securing a Home Equity Line of Credit.
  • Your first-lien mortgage payment PITI and escrowed association fees is greater than 38% of your gross monthly household income, excluding temporary income such as unemployment benefits.

MRAP Servicer Participation

Servicer participation in the program is voluntary. (A mortgage servicer is the company that collects monthly mortgage payments from borrowers on behalf of the owner of the loan, as well as tracks account balances, manages the escrow account, handles loss mitigation applications, and pursues foreclosure in the case of defaulted loans.) Almost all servicers have signed on for MRAP participation.

To find out if your servicer is participating in MRAP, go to

How to Apply for MRAP

To apply for MRAP assistance, you can:

  • call Keep Your Home California at 888-954-KEEP (5337)
  • contact your mortgage servicer directly, or
  • visit one of the HUD-approved counseling agencies participating in Keep Your Home California. (To learn more about housing counseling, see  Free Counseling in California for Struggling Homeowners.)

For More Information

Go to  or  (for a Spanish-language version of the website) for more information.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Swipe to view more

Talk to a Foreclosure attorney.

We've helped 75 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you