Firm Overview

Main Office

Main Office
124 W. Main Street
Ste. 200
El Cajon CA 92020


(619) 441-2500


Immigration Law

Asylum, family, employment, investment, and temporary visas

We specialize in helping you with either your temporary or permanent stay in the United States. While there are many types of immigration, the top ones focus on: Asylum: Asylum may be granted to an individual who has a well-founded fear of persecution in his home country on account of race, religion, political opinion, nationality, or particular social group. The well-founded fear of persecution can be in the past or in the future. Asylum is a discretionary form of relief and the asylum officer or the court can use various different factors in determining whether the applicant deserves the relief he or she seeks. Family: This is the most popular method for people to come to the U.S. on a permanent basis. The two vehicles used for permanent immigration are adjustment of status and visa processing. Adjustment of status occurs when someone is in the U.S. on a temporary valid visa such as visitor visa, student visa, or work visa, who wants to adjust their status to a permanent resident. Visa processing is for those persons outside the U.S. who want to immigrate to the U.S. after their visas become current. Employment: Employment based immigration is also a very popular method for workers to come to the U.S. and work, either temporarily or permanently. Some temporary employment visas include H-1B, specialty occupation visas, L-1 inter-company transferee visas, and TN Trade Nafta Visas. Permanent employment based immigration can be summarized into five categories including E1): Priority Workers; Employment Second Preference (E2): Professionals Holding Advanced Degrees and Persons of Exceptional Ability; Employment Third Preference (E3): Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Unskilled Workers (Other Workers); Employment Fourth Preference (E4): Certain Special Immigrants; Employment Fifth Preference (E5): Immigrant Investors. Investment Based Visas: Investment Based Visas can be temporary or permanent. For those countries that have treaties with the U.S., citizens of those countries can come to the U.S. on a temporary E-1 or E-2 investment visa. There is no minimum amount of investment; however, the investment must be substantial. If an alien wants to invest $1,000,000 or $500,000 in some cases, the alien can immigrate to the U.S. using an employment based 5th preference (E-B5) visa. Temporary: There are many types of visas available to aliens who wish to enter the U.S. on a temporary basis. Some examples include B-1 visitor visa, F-1 student visas, H-1B employment visas, TN Trade Nafta visas, J-1 student exchange visas, and many more. Typically to apply for any of the temporary visas, an alien must demonstrate to the U.S. government that they intend to return to their home country once their visa expires.

What experience or education distinguishes your lawyers from others?

Robert graduated from the University of Michigan in 1988 and graduated from the University of Detroit, school of law in 1992. He passed the Michigan bar exam in the summer of 1992, and began practicing law in the Detroit area. In 1996, Robert moved to San Diego, and passed the California bar exam and began practicing law in the San Diego area as a partner of Garmo & Garmo LLP. The primary areas of practice have been immigration law and Real Estate with emphasis in employment based immigration, investment based immigration, and family based immigration. As an immigration practitioner, Robert has tried immigration cases in various courts of appeals including the 9th, 6th, 5th, and 1st Circuit Courts of Appeals. Robert has also handled hundreds of asylum cases, naturalization, employment-based immigration, family petitions, investment-based visas, and complex deportation & removal cases.

Robert Garmo

Garmo & Garmo


University of Michigan
Political Science - B.S., 1988

University of Detroit Mercy
Doctor of Law (J.D), 1992

* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.