Buchman Provine Brothers Smith LLP provides responsive, high-quality legal advice across a broad range of issues affecting businesses and individuals.
We counsel clients with prompt, innovative, and cost-effective solutions to their legal problems. Throughout the course of our representation, we ensure that our clients are informed, and invite them to be active participants in the resolution of their legal matters.
Our goal is to resolve successfully the issues facing our clients as efficiently as possible. We approach each matter from the client's perspective, always mindful that what businesses and individuals want are prompt and pragmatic solutions, without sacrificing quality or attention to detail. We recognize that a lawsuit can be an expensive, time-consuming distraction from your life and business. Thus, we strive to achieve successful outcomes for our clients without sacrifice to our commitment to the highest standards.
Each of our professionals has expertise in one or more practice areas. This versatility allows us to assign attorneys and support staff with knowledge and experience tailored to meet the needs of your case. Our litigation attorneys have extensive experience in all forms of dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration and litigation.
Whether your needs involve negotiating and documenting your next big deal, managing your company's current policies and procedures, planning for the future of your family or business, or resolving a dispute, we can help. Call us today to learn how we can help you.
2033 N. Main Street, Suite 720
Walnut Creek CA 94596
8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Our Business attorneys assist clients in the entire range of business activities, from formation and governance through business transfer and dissolution.
For startups, we advise on appropriate entity selection and domicile (California or elsewhere) and help to resolve and document issues and agreements among owners. For all businesses, we counsel on appropriate procedures for raising capital, dealing with employees, compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements, preservation of intellectual property rights and the negotiation and performance of commercial transactions. We represent financial institutions and advise them in all aspects of regulatory compliance. We counsel and represent individuals and entities in the areas of franchising, succession planning and mergers and acquisitions and in the transfer of business interests to family members, other owners and third parties.
Mr. Brothers is a graduate of the McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific (J.D. 1984), and was accepted to the California State Bar in 1985. He attended California State University, Hayward, receiving his B.A. in 1980.
Mr. Brothers is a business and real estate attorney whose practice includes:
* General counsel services, including corporate counsel, business and succession planning and debt and equity financing.
* Transactional counsel services, including mergers and acquisitions, entity formation and operation, reorganizations and general commercial transactions.
* Real estate transactional counsel services, including purchase and sale of commercial real property, commercial leasing and related transactions.
* General counsel to high net worth clients concerning family succession planning including serving clients as "Family Office" CEO.
* Risk management services, including business/corporate litigation, construction litigation, real estate litigation, commercial landlord-tenant litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Mr. Brothers also serves as mediator in disputes involving business, real estate and construction matters.
Mr. Brothers has served as a consultant and contributing editor to the CEB "Action Guide: Handling Public Works Remedies", the CEB "Stop Notices and Payment Bonds", the CEB "Handling Mechanics' Lien and Related Remedies", and the CEB "Approaching Construction Disputes." Mr. Brothers has also authored business and real estate law articles including, "Acting as Counsel for Small Corporations" and "SOX Coming to a Privately Held Corporation Near You" and "Limiting the Adverse Effects of Employee Competition Following California's Invalidation of Non-Competition Agreements."
Mr. Brothers is fluent in Spanish.
Bar Number: 118622
McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific
After graduating from the University of California, Davis (BA, 1990), Mr. Smith attended the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law with a concentration in Business and Estate Planning. He graduated with distinction in 1994 and was awarded the American Jurisprudence Award in Business Planning and Development. Mr. Smith was admitted to the California Bar in 1994 and is admitted to practice in federal courts.
Mr. Smith is a business, estate and real estate attorney whose practice focuses on:
* Business, estate, probate and real estate litigation.
* Real estate transactions and counsel including commercial and residential purchase and sales, leases, options, easements and licenses.
* Commercial real estate litigation representing lenders, property management companies, agents, brokers and buyers/sellers in commercial leasing transactions, lien priority disputes, quiet title and fraud/non-disclosure disputes.
* Trust, estate and tax planning, business planning and family succession planning.
* General counsel to high net worth clients concerning business and family succession planning including serving clients as "Family Office" CEO.
* Business and corporate transactions including entity formation and operation, business transactions, mergers and acquisitions and other business reorganizations.
* Trust, estate and probate administration.
Mr. Smith also serves as a mediator in disputes involving trusts and estates, business, real estate and corporate matters.
Finally, Mr. Smith has been recognized as one of Northern California's "Rising Stars" in the respected legal publication of Northern California Super Lawyers for the year 2014.
Bar Number: 172878
McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific