Medical Malpractice Attorney - Serving the New England area for over 30 years...
The fact is that tens of thousands of people are injured or killed every year due to medical errors. Many of these injuries can cause substantial pain and suffering or take loved ones away prematurely, and forever. These injuries are not due to
100 Summit Street
Lowell MA 01852
S. James Boumil is an attorney with considerable experience in both domestic and international civil litigation. He was awarded his doctorate cum laude from Boston College in 1972 after taking a degree in physics (mathematics minor). Attorney Boumil has often found his scientific background to be a critical advantage in the practice of law.
Imagine, for example, that you have a business litigation involving a mathematical modeling of economic harm, manufacturing processes, trade secrets or hi-tech issues. Who would digest the facts and form a plan more efficiently – someone who majored in history or political science, or someone who has professional experience in the science laboratory? The same is true of a variety of cases, whether they are malpractice or personal injury claims with complex medical presentations.
Attorney Boumil has successfully handled multi-million dollar cases in jurisdictions as far flung as Hong Kong, Japan, and the Middle East as well as numerous States. Some of the judgments obtained are among the largest in the jurisdictions where decided.
Attorney Boumil has also served widely in his community. He was a member of the Board of Directors of the Human Services Corporation, which was instrumental in bringing the "Urban National Park" to Lowell, MA. He was appointed by Governor Frank Sargent to serve as the Chairman of the University of Lowell Building Authority, and saw its bond rating go from "junk bond" status to "A" rated under his tenure. He was appointed "Special Assistant Attorney General" to the University of Lowell Board of Trustees by Francis Belotti. Recently he served as litigation counsel to the Merrimack Valley Residents for the Environment in an entirely pro-bono effort to block construction of a potentially polluting power plant. [Conversely, he has also represented power plant developers in international transactions.]
Representative Significant Cases
1. Drury v. Abdallah
9 Mass Appellate Court 865 (1980)
2. Drury v. Abdallah
46 Bankruptcy Reporter 718 (1984)
3. Namay v. Contributory Retirement Appeal Board
19 Mass Appellate Court 456 (1985)
4. In re Abdallah
775 F. 2d 75 (1986)
5. Robinson v. Teachers' Retirement Board
414 Mass 340 (1993)
6. DeMauro v. DeMauro
712 A. 2d 623 (1998)
7. DeMauro v. DeMauro Co.
115 F. 3d 94 (1st Cir. 1997)
8. DeMauro v. Martin
U.S. App. (1st Cir.) LEXIS 2263 (2000)
9. Town of Andover v. Energy Facilities Siting Board
435 Mass 377 (2001)
10. DeMauro v. DeMauro
794 A. 2d 112 (2002)
1. Association of Trial Lawyers of America
2. American Bar Association
3. American Bar Association Civil Litigation Committee
4. Massachusetts Bar Association
5. Massachusetts Bar Association Civil Litigation Committee
6. Greater Lowell Bar Association
7. American Association for the Advancement of Science.
9. American - Lebanese Medical Association
1. Former member of the Board of Directors Human Services Corporation, Lowell, MA (sponsor of the Urban National Park, Lowell, MA).
2. Chairman of the Board of Directors, University of Lowell Building Authority.
3. Former Special Assistant Attorney General to University of Lowell Board of Trustees.
4. Past president of American Lebanese Awareness Association.
5. Member of the Board of Directors American Lebanese Medical Association.
1. 1972 Massachusetts Legislative Reporter, American Bar Association Real Property Probate and Trust Journal.
2. 1973 Massachusetts Legislative Reporter, American Bar Association Real Property Probate and Trust Journal.
3. 1976-79 Lecture Real Estate Development Law, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA.
4. 1986 Lecture Real Estate Development Law, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA.
5. 1990 Lecture Real Estate Development Law, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA.
6. 1996 Survey of Issues in Bioethics Annual Conference of Medical Associations, Beirut, Lebanon.
7. 1997 Issues in Permitting and Financing Electrical Power Plant Construction, International Power Plants Symposium, Cypress
Bar Number: State of Massachuset
University of Massachusetts
B.S. in Physics, 1969
Juris Doctor, with honors, 1972
* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.