DACA Recipients Who Received Three-Year Work Permits Expected to Return Them to USCIS

To comply with a federal court order, all DACA recipients must have EADs that last no more than two years.

If you were approved for the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) program and your latest work permit (also called an Employment Authorization Document or EAD) lasts longer than two years, then there's some bad news: You have to give it back to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Why? Unfair as it seems, the judge who issued the Texas v. United States injunction putting President Obama's executive order expanding the DACA program on hold followed this with an order that the U.S. government retract benefits that it had given out under the new program. In fact, the judge threatened USCIS with a finding of contempt of court if it did not "rectify this situation."

By now, you should have received from USCIS a new EAD with a two-year expiration date, and a letter with an envelope for use in returning the three-year EAD. If you ignore this, you could create difficulties for your future immigration status.

if you didn't receive such a letter from USCIS, but have an EAD that runs for more than two years, your safest bet is to make an INFOPASS appointment to visit a USCIS office or consult an attorney.