Trademark Class 20: Furniture
Choose Class 20 if you are registering trademarks for furniture, mirrors, or picture frames
Class 20 includes mainly furniture, mirrors, picture frames; goods (not included in other classes) of wood, cork, reed, cane, wicker, horn, bone, ivory, whalebone, shell, amber, mother-of-pearl, meerschaum and substitutes for all these materials, or of plastics. Class 20 is one of 45 classes used by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) when grouping products or services.
Examples of trademarks in Class 20 include:
NOMAD (carry cots, air cushions), NEWPORT (furniture), TORTELLINI (cushions)
You would choose Class 20 if you were registering any of these types of goods:
- bedding (for example, mattresses, spring mattresses, pillows);
- looking glasses and furnishing or toilet mirrors;
- registration number plates not of metal;
- letter boxes not of metal or masonry.
For a complete listing of all goods in Class 20, see below.
You would NOT use Class 20 if you were registering:
- certain special types of mirrors, classified according to their function or purpose (consult the Alphabetical List of Goods);
- special furniture for laboratories (Class 9 - Computers and Scientific Devices);
- special furniture for medical use (Class 10 - Medical Supplies);
- bedding linen (Class 24 - Textiles);
- eiderdowns (Class 24 - Textiles).
Related (Coordinated) Classes
If you are not sure whether you should register in Class 20, you might also consider the following “coordinated” classes: Class 6 - Common Metals, Class 21 - Household Utensils, Class 28 - Games and Sporting Goods, Class 35 - Advertising and Business Services. And Class 42 - Science and Technology Services. A coordinated class is one that is related to another class, usually because the USPTO has determined that applicants filing within Class 20 often file in the coordinated classes, too.
Why use the class system? Trademark registration is based on a class system. For each class of goods or services that you register, you must pay a separate registration fee. So if you apply for a trademark for posters (Class 16) and shirts (Class 25), you must pay two fees. You must indicate the correct class at the time you are registering a trademark. If you list the incorrect class, you must start the application process over. Your registrations are restricted to those classes that encompass the goods or services you are already offering (as shown by the specimens you submit) or that you plan to offer (if you are registering on an intent-to-use basis). You may also need information about the class number in order to narrow a search of the USPTO’s trademark database.
Specimens for Class 20
If the mark is used in commerce, you must furnish a specimen of the mark as consumers see it. The specimen must show the mark as used on or in connection with the goods in commerce. A trademark specimen should be a label, tag, or container for the goods, or a display associated with the goods. A photocopy or other reproduction of a specimen of the mark as actually used on or in connection with the goods is acceptable.
In most cases, where the trademark is applied to the goods or the containers for the goods in Class 20 by means of labels, a label is an acceptable specimen. Shipping or mailing labels may be accepted if they are affixed to the goods or to the containers for the goods and if proper trademark usage is shown. They are not acceptable if the mark as shown is merely used as a trade name and not as a trademark. An example of this is the use of the term solely as a return address.
Stamping a trademark on the goods, on the container, or on tags or labels attached to the goods or containers, is a proper method of trademark affixation. The trademark may be imprinted in the body of the goods, as with metal stamping; it may be applied by a rubber stamp; or it may be inked on by using a stencil or template. When a trademark is used in this manner, photographs or facsimiles showing the actual stamping or stenciling are acceptable as specimens.
The terminology “applied to the containers for the goods” means applied to any type of commercial packaging that is normal for the particular goods as they move in trade. Thus, a showing of the trademark on the normal commercial package for the particular Class 20 goods is an acceptable specimen. For example, gasoline pumps are normal containers or “packaging” for gasoline.
A specimen showing use of the trademark on a vehicle in which the goods are marketed to the relevant purchasers may constitute use of the mark on a container for the goods, if this is the normal mode of use of a mark for the particular goods
For More Information on Trademarks and Federal Registration
Complete Listing of All Goods in Class 20 Based on Taxonomy
- Non-metallic hardware, broom handles, not of metal, fans for personal use, non-electric, flagpoles, hinges, not of metal, identification bracelets, not of metal, for hospitals/identification bracelets, not of metal, for hospital purposes, knife handles, not of metal, loading gauge rods, not of metal, for railway wagons, mats, removable, for sinks/removable mats or covers for sinks, poles, not of metal, reels, not of metal, non-mechanical, for flexible hoses, reels of wood for yarn, silk, cord, saw horses, scythe handles, not of metal, shoulder poles [yokes], stair rods, stakes for plants or trees, staves of wood, tent pegs, not of metal, tool handles, not of metal, trays, not of metal*, winding spools, not of metal, non-mechanical, for flexible hoses.
- Mooring buoys, mooring buoys, not of metal.
- Locks and keys, plastic key cards, not encoded, locks, other than electric, not of metal, locks, not of metal, for vehicles, Door, gate and window fittings, door bolts, not of metal, door knockers, not of metal, door bells not of metal, non-electric, door fittings, not of metal, door handles, not of metal, indoor window blinds [shades] [furniture]/indoor window shades [furniture], interior textile window blinds, knobs, not of metal, latches, not of metal, paper blinds, window fittings, not of metal.
- Valves, drain traps [valves] of plastic, valves, not of metal, other than parts of machines, water-pipe valves of plastic.
- Fasteners, bolts, not of metal, brush mountings, dowels, not of metal/pegs [pins], not of metal/pins [pegs], not of metal, nuts, not of metal, plugs [dowels], not of metal/wall plugs, not of metal, plugs, not of metal/bungs, not of metal, rivets, not of metal, screws, not of metal, Cable fasteners, connectors and holders, cable clips, not of metal/binding screws, not of metal, for cables, cable or pipe clips of plastics/cable and pipe clips of plastics/pipe or cable clips of plastics.
- Pipe fasteners, connectors and holders.
- Statues, figurines, works of art and ornaments and decorations, made of materials such as wood, wax, plaster or plastic, included in the class, stuffed birds, busts of wood, wax, plaster or plastic, decorations of plastic for foodstuffs, figurines [statuettes] of wood, wax, plaster or plastic/statuettes of wood, wax, plaster or plastic, mobiles [decoration], statues of wood, wax, plaster or plastic, stuffed animals, wax figurines, wind chimes [decoration], works of art of wood, wax, plaster or plastic.
- Furniture and furnishings, ambroid plates, armchairs, baby changing mats, benches [furniture], book rests [furniture], bottle racks, cabinet work, chests for toys, chests of drawers, chopping blocks [tables], coatstands, costume stands, counters [tables], covers for clothing [wardrobe], cupboards, deck chairs, standing desks, desks, dinner wagons [furniture], divans, doors for furniture, draughtman's tables, dressing tables, easy chairs, edgings of plastic for furniture, filing cabinets, fireguards/fire screens, domestic, flower-pot pedestals, flower-stands [furniture], footstools/stools, freestanding partitions [furniture], furniture, furniture shelves, furniture fittings, not of metal, furniture of metal, furniture partitions of wood/partitions of wood for furniture, furniture casters, not of metal, garment covers [storage], gun racks, hairdressers' chairs, hat stands, head-rests [furniture], high chairs for babies, index cabinets [furniture], infant walkers, keyboards for hanging keys, lecterns, library shelves, lockers, magazine racks, massage tables, mats for infant playpens, medicine cabinets, office furniture, plate racks, playpens for babies, racks [furniture], school furniture, screens [furniture], seats/chairs [seats], seats of metal, settees, shelves for storage, shelves for filing-cabinets [furniture], sideboards, sofas, stands for calculating machines, table tops, tables*, tables of metal, tea trolleys/tea carts, towel dispensers, fixed, not of metal/towel dispensers, not of metal, fixed, towel closets [furniture], trestles [furniture], trolleys for computers [furniture]/carts for computers [furniture], trolleys [furniture], typing desks/shelves for typewriters, umbrella stands, vice benches, not of metal, wall-mounted diaper [napkin] changing platforms/baby changing platforms, washstands [furniture], wickerwork, work benches, writing desks.
- Beds, bedding, mattresses, pillows and cushions, air mattresses, not for medical purposes, air pillows, not for medical purposes, air cushions, not for medical purposes, bed casters, not of metal, bed fittings, not of metal, bedding, except linen, hydrostatic [water] beds, not for medical purposes/hydrostatic beds, not for medical purposes/water beds, not for medical purposes, beds*, bedsteads of wood, bolsters, cots/bassinettes/cradles, cushions, hospital beds, mattresses*, pet cushions, pillows, sleeping bags for camping, spring mattresses, straw mattresses/straw mattress.
- Frames, embroidery frames, picture frames, moldings [mouldings] for picture frames/moldings for picture frames/mouldings for picture frames, picture frame brackets/picture rods [frames].
- Mirrors (silvered glass), hand-held mirrors [toilet mirrors], mirror tiles, mirrors [looking glasses], silvered glass [mirrors], Blinds, and fittings for curtains and blinds, bamboo curtains, bead curtains for decoration, curtain tie-backs, curtain hooks, curtain holders, not of textile material, curtain rollers, curtain rods, curtain rails, curtain rings, pulleys of plastics for blinds, slatted indoor blinds, woven timber blinds [furniture].
- Clothes hangers and clothes hooks, clothes hooks, not of metal, coat hangers/clothes hangers, coathooks, not of metal/hooks, not of metal, for clothes rails.
- Animal housing and beds, beds for household pets, beehives, comb foundations for beehives, dog kennels, fodder racks, honeycombs, kennels for household pets, nesting boxes, nesting boxes for household pets, scratching posts for cats, sections of wood for beehives.
- Unprocessed and semi-processed materials included in the class, not specified for use, ambroid bars, animal hooves, animal horns, bamboo, animal claws, coral, corozo, horn, unworked or semi-worked, ivory, unworked or semi-worked, meerschaum, mother-of-pearl, unworked or semi-worked, oyster shells, plaited straw, except matting, rattan, reeds [plaiting materials], shells, stag antlers, straw plaits, straw edgings, tortoiseshell, tortoiseshell imitation, whalebone, unworked or semi-worked, wood ribbon, yellow amber.
- Containers, and closures and holders therefor, bins, not of metal/chests, not of metal, bottle casings of wood, cases of wood or plastic/bins of wood or plastic/boxes of wood or plastic, containers, not of metal [storage, transport], containers, not of metal, for liquid fuel, floating containers, not of metal, meat chests, not of metal, packaging containers of plastic, reservoirs, not of metal nor of masonry/tanks, not of metal nor of masonry, troughs, not of metal, for mixing mortar.
- Baskets, bakers' bread baskets, baskets, not of metal, fishing baskets, hampers [baskets], Barrels and casks, barrels, not of metal, cask stands, not of metal, cask hoops, not of metal/barrel hoops, not of metal, casks, not of metal, casks of wood for decanting wine, vats, not of metal.
- Coffins and funerary urns, coffin fittings, not of metal, coffins, funerary urns.
- Letter boxes, letter boxes, not of metal or masonry.
- Closures for containers, bottle caps, not of metal, bottle closures, not of metal/stoppers for bottles, not of glass, metal or rubber, closures, not of metal, for containers, corks for bottles, corks, screw tops, not of metal, for bottles, stoppers, not of metal/sealing caps, not of metal, taps for casks, not of metal.
- Crates and pallets, crates, handling pallets, not of metal, loading pallets, not of metal, transport pallets, not of metal, Ladders and movable steps, mobile boarding stairs, not of metal, for passengers, ladders of wood or plastics, steps [ladders], not of metal.
- Displays, stands and signage, display boards, display stands, house numbers, not of metal, non-luminous, inflatable publicity objects, nameplates, not of metal/identity plates, not of metal, newspaper display stands, numberplates, not of metal/registration plates, not of metal, placards of wood or plastics, showcases [furniture], signboards of wood or plastics.
- Mannequins and tailors' dummies, tailors' dummies/dressmakers' dummies/mannequins.