Class 11 includes appliances for lighting, heating, steam generating, cooking, refrigerating, drying, ventilating, water supply and sanitary purposes. In addition, this class includes, in particular: air conditioning apparatus;, bedwarmers, hot water bottles, warming pans, electric or non-electric;, electrically heated cushions (pads) and blankets, not for medical purposes;, electric kettles;, electric cooking utensils. Class 11 is one of 45 classes used by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) when grouping products or services. For a complete listing of all goods in Class 11, see below.
Examples of trademarks in Class 11 include:
WESTINGHOUSE (W) (electric dispenser for air freshener), MR. COFFEE (Iced tea maker), THE VAPEVINE (electronic vaporizer). MAGNAVOX (Air conditioners).
You would NOT use Class 11 if you were registering:
- steam producing apparatus (parts of machines) (Class 7 - Machines);
- electrically heated clothing (Class 9 - Computers and Scientific Devices).
Related (Coordinated) Classes
If you are not sure whether you should register in Class 11, you might also consider the following “coordinated” classes: Class 6 - Common Metals, Class 7 - Machines, Class 9 - Computers and Scientific Devices, Class 19 - Building Materials, Class 20 - Furniture, Class 35 - Advertising and Business Services, Class 37 - Construction and Repair Services, Class 40 - Material Treatment Services, Class 42 - Science and Technology Services. A coordinated class is one that is related to another class, usually because the USPTO has determined that applicants filing within Class 11 often file in the coordinated classes, too.
Why use the class system? Trademark registration is based on a class system. For each class of goods or services that you register, you must pay a separate registration fee. So if you apply for a trademark for posters (Class 16) and shirts (Class 25), you must pay two fees. You must indicate the correct class at the time you are registering a trademark. If you list the incorrect class, you must start the application process over. Your registrations are restricted to those classes that encompass the goods or services you are already offering (as shown by the specimens you submit) or that you plan to offer (if you are registering on an intent-to-use basis). You may also need information about the class number in order to narrow a search of the USPTO’s trademark database.
Specimens for Class 11
If the mark is used in commerce, you must furnish a specimen of the mark as consumers see it. The specimen must show the mark as used on or in connection with the goods in commerce. A trademark specimen should be a label, tag, or container for the goods, or a display associated with the goods. A photocopy or other reproduction of a specimen of the mark as actually used on or in connection with the goods is acceptable.
In most cases, where the trademark is applied to the goods or the containers for the goods in Class 11 by means of labels, a label is an acceptable specimen. Shipping or mailing labels may be accepted if they are affixed to the goods or to the containers for the goods and if proper trademark usage is shown. They are not acceptable if the mark as shown is merely used as a trade name and not as a trademark. An example of this is the use of the term solely as a return address.
Stamping a trademark on the goods, on the container, or on tags or labels attached to the goods or containers, is a proper method of trademark affixation. The trademark may be imprinted in the body of the goods, as with metal stamping; it may be applied by a rubber stamp; or it may be inked on by using a stencil or template. When a trademark is used in this manner, photographs or facsimiles showing the actual stamping or stenciling are acceptable as specimens.
The terminology “applied to the containers for the goods” means applied to any type of commercial packaging that is normal for the particular goods as they move in trade. Thus, a showing of the trademark on the normal commercial package for the particular Class 11 goods is an acceptable specimen. For example, gasoline pumps are normal containers or “packaging” for gasoline.
A specimen showing use of the trademark on a vehicle in which the goods are marketed to the relevant purchasers may constitute use of the mark on a container for the goods, if this is the normal mode of use of a mark for the particular goods
For More Information on Trademarks and Federal Registration
Complete Listing of All Goods in Class 11 Based on Taxonomy
- Flues and installations for conveying exhaust gases, chimney flues, chimney blowers, flues for heating boilers, gas condensers, other than parts of machines.
- Sun tanning appliances, tanning apparatus [sun beds].
- Sanitary installations, water supply and sanitation equipment, clean chambers [sanitary installations], cooling installations for water, fumigation apparatus, not for medical purposes, heating installations [water]/hot water heating installations, hydrants, laundry room boilers/washing coppers, pressure water tanks, solar thermal collectors [heating], water heaters [apparatus], water heaters, water conduits installations, water distribution installations, water supply installations, water intake apparatus, watering installations, automatic.
- Water purification, desalination and conditioning installations, aquarium filtration apparatus, desalination plants, purification installations for sewage, swimming pool chlorinating apparatus, water purification installations, water filtering apparatus, water purifying apparatus and machines, Sterilization, disinfection and decontamination equipment, disinfectant apparatus, disposable sterilization pouches, sterilizers, water sterilizers.
- Sanitary and bathroom installations and plumbing fixtures, anti-splash tap nozzles, bath tubs, bath tubs for sitz baths, bath linings, bath installations/bath plumbing fixtures, bath fittings, bidets, disinfectant dispensers for toilets/disinfectant distributors for toilets, flushing tanks, fountains, heaters for baths, mixer taps for water pipes, pipes [parts of sanitary installations]/water-pipes for sanitary installations, sanitary apparatus and installations, shower cubicles [enclosures (Am.)], showers, sinks, taps [cocks, spigots] [faucets (Am.)] for pipes/faucets for pipes (Am.)/pipe line cocks [spigots], taps [faucets]*, toilet seats, toilet bowls, toilets, portable, toilets [water-closets]/water closets, urinals [sanitary fixtures], wash-hand basins [parts of sanitary installations]/wash-hand bowls [parts of sanitary installations], washers for water taps, water flushing installations/flushing apparatus, Decorative fountains, sprinkler and irrigation systems, drip irrigation emitters [irrigation fittings], ornamental fountains, watering machines for agricultural purposes, Steam baths, saunas and spas, hydromassage bath apparatus, sauna bath installations, spa baths [vessels], steam facial apparatus [saunas], Turkish bath cabinets, portable, whirlpool-jet apparatus.
- Burners, boilers and heaters, acetylene burners, acetylene flares, acetylene generators, air reheaters, alcohol burners, ash conveyor installations, automatic, boiler pipes [tubes] for heating installations, boilers, other than parts of machines, brackets for gas burners, burners, coils [parts of distilling, heating or cooling installations], evaporators, feeding apparatus for heating boilers, fittings, shaped, for furnaces/fittings, shaped, for ovens/shaped fittings for furnaces/shaped fittings for ovens, furnace grates/fire bars, furnace ash boxes/ash pits for furnaces, furnaces, other than for laboratory use/ovens, other than for laboratory use, gas burners, gas boilers, glue-heating appliances, hearths, heat accumulators, heat regenerators, heat exchangers, not parts of machines, heat pumps, heaters for heating irons, heating apparatus, electric, heating apparatus, heating installations, heating elements, heating boilers, heating apparatus for solid, liquid or gaseous fuels, heating filaments, electric, hot air apparatus, immersion heaters, incinerators, laboratory burners, loading apparatus for furnaces, oil burners, oxhydrogen burners, petrol burners, solar furnaces, steam boilers, other than parts of machines, steam generating installations, steam accumulators, fabric steamers, stoves, stoves [heating apparatus], thermostatic valves [parts of heating installations], tobacco roasters.
- Lighting and lighting reflectors, aquarium lights, arc lamps, burners for lamps, carbon for arc lamps, ceiling lights, chandeliers, Chinese lanterns/fairy lights for festive decoration, curling lamps, discharge tubes, electric, for lighting, diving lights, electric lamps, filaments for electric lamps, flares, gas lamps, incandescent burners, laboratory lamps, lamp mantles/lamp casings, lamp chimneys, lamp glasses, lamp reflectors, lamp globes/globes for lamps, lamp shades, lamps, lampshade holders, lanterns for lighting, light bulbs, electric, light bulbs, light diffusers, light-emitting diodes [LED] lighting apparatus, lighters*, lighting apparatus and installations, lights, electric, for Christmas trees/electric lights for Christmas trees, luminous tubes for lighting, luminous house numbers, magnesium filaments for lighting, miners' lamps, oil lamps, pocket torches, electric/pocket searchlights, projector lamps, safety lamps, sockets for electric lights, street lamps/standard lamps, torches for lighting/flashlights [torches]/searchlights, ultraviolet ray lamps, not for medical purposes.
- Vehicle lighting and lighting reflectors, anti-dazzle devices for automobiles [lamp fittings], anti-glare devices for vehicles [lamp fittings]/anti-dazzle devices for vehicles [lamp fittings], bicycle lights, cycle lights, headlights for automobiles, lamps for directional signals of automobiles, light bulbs for directional signals for vehicles, lighting installations for air vehicles, lighting apparatus for vehicles, lights for vehicles, lights for automobiles/automobile lights, vehicle reflectors, vehicle headlights.
- Food and beverage cooking, heating, cooling and treatment equipment, autoclaves [electric pressure cookers]/pressure cookers [autoclaves], electric, bakers' ovens, barbecues, beverage cooling apparatus, bread toasters/toasters, bread baking machines, bread-making machines, coffee roasters, coffee percolators, electric, coffee machines, electric, cookers, cooking rings, cooking utensils, electric, cooking apparatus and installations, deep fryers, electric, electric appliances for making yogurt, extractor hoods for kitchens, fruit roasters, heaters, electric, for feeding bottles, heating plates, hot plates, kettles, electric, kitchen ranges [ovens], lava rocks for use in barbecue grills, malt roasters, microwave ovens [cooking apparatus], microwave ovens for industrial purposes, oven fittings made of fireclay, pasteurisers, plate warmers, pressure cooking saucepans, electric, roasters, roasting apparatus/griddles [cooking appliances]/grills [cooking appliances], roasting jacks, roasting spits, rotisseries, structural plates for ovens/framework of metal for ovens, waffle irons, electric, water softening apparatus and installations, Fireplaces, fireplaces, domestic.
- Filters for industrial and household use, coffee filters, electric, filters for air conditioning, filters [parts of household or industrial installations], filters for drinking water.
- Industrial treatment installations, apparatus for dehydrating food waste, refining towers for distillation.
- Gas cleaners and purifiers, gas scrubbing apparatus, gas scrubbers [parts of gas installations]/scrubbers [parts of gas installations], oil-scrubbing apparatus, Industrial ovens and furnaces (not for food or beverages), coolers for furnaces/cooling vats for furnaces, dental ovens, flare stacks for use in the oil industry/flare stacks for use in oil refineries, forges, portable, germicidal burners, hot air ovens, kiln furniture [supports], kilns.
- Chemical processing equipment, chromatography apparatus for industrial purposes, distillation apparatus, distillation columns, polymerisation installations, stills*.
- Personal heating and drying implements, bedwarmers, blankets, electric, not for medical purposes, electric fans for personal use, footmuffs, electrically heated, footwarmers, electric or non-electric, hair driers [dryers]/hair driers/hair dryers, hand drying apparatus for washrooms, heating cushions [pads], electric, not for medical purposes/heating pads [cushions], electric, not for medical purposes, hot air bath fittings, hot water bottles, pocket warmers, warming pans.
- Drying installations, air driers [dryers]/air driers/air dryers, desiccating apparatus, drying apparatus, drying apparatus for fodder and forage/forage drying apparatus, drying apparatus and installations, laundry dryers, electric, Refrigerating and freezing equipment, cooling installations and machines, cooling appliances and installations, cooling installations for liquids, cooling installations for tobacco, freezers, ice machines and apparatus, ice boxes/ice chests, milk cooling installations, refrigerating cabinets, refrigerating apparatus and machines, refrigerating chambers/walk-in refrigerators, refrigerating display cabinets [display cases], refrigerating containers, refrigerating appliances and installations, refrigerators.
- Regulating and safety accessories for water and gas installations, air valves for steam heating installations, fuel economisers*/fuel economizers*, level controlling valves in tanks, regulating accessories for water or gas apparatus and pipes, regulating and safety accessories for gas pipes, regulating and safety accessories for water apparatus, regulating and safety accessories for gas apparatus, safety accessories for water or gas apparatus and pipes.
- Nuclear installations, nuclear reactors/atomic piles, processing installations for fuel and nuclear moderating material/installations for processing nuclear fuel and nuclear moderating material, Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning and purification equipment (ambient), air cooling apparatus, aquarium heaters, central heating radiators, dampers [heating], electrically heated carpets, radiator caps, radiators [heating], radiators, electric, ventilation hoods for laboratories.
- Air treatment equipment, air deodorizing apparatus, air filtering installations, air purifying apparatus and machines, air sterilisers, deodorizing apparatus, not for personal use, germicidal lamps for purifying air, humidifiers for central heating radiators, ionization apparatus for the treatment of air or water, ventilation hoods.
- HVAC systems (heating, ventilation and air conditioning), air conditioning installations/installations for conditioning air, air conditioning apparatus, expansion tanks for central heating installations, fans [air-conditioning], fans [parts of air-conditioning installations], ventilation [air-conditioning] installations and apparatus.
- Vehicle HVAC systems (heating, ventilation and air conditioning), air conditioners for vehicles, defrosters for vehicles, heaters for vehicles, heating apparatus for defrosting windows of vehicles, ventilation [air-conditioning] installations for vehicles, Igniters, friction lighters for igniting gas, gas lighters.