Trademark Class 1: Chemical Products
Choose Class 1 if registering for chemicals used in industry and agriculture
Class 1 includes chemical products used in industry, science and agriculture, including those that go to the making of products belonging to other classes. Class 1 is one of 45 classes used by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) when grouping products or services.
You would choose Class 1 if you were registering any of these types of goods:
- chemicals used in industry, science and photography, as well as in agriculture, horticulture and forestry;
- unprocessed artificial resins, unprocessed plastics; manures;
- fire extinguishing compositions;
- tempering and soldering preparations;
- chemical substances for preserving foodstuffs; or
- tanning substances; adhesives used in industry.
For example, if you were registering a trademark for compost, or for certain additives for the food industry, you would register it in Class 1. For a complete listing of all goods in Class 1, see below.
Examples of trademarks in Class 1 include: CYCLOPOL (Chemicals), CLOUD-CLONE (Biochemical reagents), SEPTIC MAGIC (Biodegradable waste digestant), and ISOFLASK (sampling kit for water).
You would NOT use Class 1 if you were registering:
- natural resins (Class 2);
- chemical products for use in medical science (Class 5);
- fungicides, herbicides and preparations for destroying vermin (Class 5);
- adhesives for stationery or household purposes (Class 16);
- salt for preserving foodstuffs (Class 30);
- straw mulch (Class 31).
Related (Coordinated) Classes
If you are not sure whether you should register in Class 1, you might also consider the following “coordinated” classes: Class 5 - Pharmaceuticals, Class 17 - Rubber Products, Class 35 - Advertising and Business Services, Class 42 - Science and Technology Services, and Class 44 - Medical and Vet Services. A coordinated class is one that is related to another class, usually because the USPTO has determined that applicants filing within Class 1 often file in the coordinated classes, too.
Why use the class system? Trademark registration is based on a class system. For each class of goods or services that you register, you must pay a separate registration fee. So if you use a trademark for posters (Class 16) and shirts (Class 25), you must pay two fees. You must indicate the correct class at the time you are registering a trademark. If you list the incorrect class, you must start the application process over. The classes you can register under are restricted to those that encompass the goods or services you are already offering (as shown by the specimens you submit) or that you plan to offer (if you are registering on an intent-to-use basis). You may also need information about the class number in order to narrow a search of the USPTO’s trademark database.
Specimens for Class 1
If the mark is used in commerce, you must furnish a specimen of the mark as consumers see it. The specimen must show the mark as used on or in connection with the goods in commerce. A trademark specimen should be a label, tag, or container for the goods, or a display associated with the goods. A photocopy or other reproduction of a specimen of the mark as actually used on or in connection with the goods is acceptable.
In most cases, where the trademark is applied to the goods or the containers for the goods in Class 1 by means of labels, a label is an acceptable specimen. Shipping or mailing labels may be accepted if they are affixed to the goods or to the containers for the goods and if proper trademark usage is shown. They are not acceptable if the mark as shown is merely used as a trade name and not as a trademark. An example of this is the use of the term solely as a return address.
Stamping a trademark on the goods, on the container, or on tags or labels attached to the goods or containers, is a proper method of trademark affixation. The trademark may be imprinted in the body of the goods, as with metal stamping; it may be applied by a rubber stamp; or it may be inked on by using a stencil or template. When a trademark is used in this manner, photographs or facsimiles showing the actual stamping or stenciling are acceptable as specimens.
The terminology “applied to the containers for the goods” means applied to any type of commercial packaging that is normal for the particular goods as they move in trade. Thus, a showing of the trademark on the normal commercial package for the particular Class 1 goods is an acceptable specimen. For example, gasoline pumps are normal containers or “packaging” for gasoline.
A specimen showing use of the trademark on a vehicle in which the goods are marketed to the relevant purchasers may constitute use of the mark on a container for the goods, if this is the normal mode of use of a mark for the particular goods
For More Information on Trademarks and federal Registration
Complete Listing of All Goods in Class 1 Based on Taxonomy
- Filtering media of chemical and non-chemical substances included in the class, activated carbons, ceramic materials in particulate form, for use as filtering media, filtering materials [chemical preparations], filtering preparations for the beverages industry, filtering materials [unprocessed plastics], filtering materials [mineral substances], filtering materials [vegetable substances].
- Chemical preparations and materials for film, photography and printing, albuminized paper, baryta paper, blueprint paper, blueprint cloth, cinematographic film, sensitized but not exposed/cinematographic films, sensitized but not exposed, collodion*, solutions for cyanotyping, diazo paper/diazo papers, ferrotype plates [photography], fixing baths [photography], fixing solutions [photography], gallic acid for the manufacture of ink, gallnuts, gelatine for photographic purposes, pectin [photography], photographic emulsions, photographic developers, photographic sensitizers, chemical preparations for use in photography, photosensitive plates, reducing agents for use in photography, self-toning paper [photography], sensitized cloth for photography, sensitized photographic plates, sensitized plates for offset printing/sensitized printing plates for offset, sensitized films, unexposed, toning baths [photography], toning salts [photography], X-ray films, sensitized but not exposed.
- Unprocessed plastics, compositions for the manufacture of phonograph records, dispersions of plastics, plasticizers, plastics, unprocessed, plastisols.
- Adhesives for use in industry, adhesives for industrial purposes, adhesives for billposting, adhesives for paperhanging/adhesives for wallpaper, adhesives for wall tiles, birdlime, cement for mending broken articles, cement for footwear, cement-waterproofing preparations, except paints/cement-waterproofing chemicals, except paints, glue for industrial purposes, gluten [glue], other than for stationery or household purposes, gums [adhesives], other than for stationery or household purposes, leather glues, mastic for leather, mastic for tires [tyres]/cement for pneumatic tires [tyres]/mastic for tires/mastic for tyres.
- Chemicals for use in agriculture, horticulture and forestry, additives, chemical, to insecticides/chemical additives to insecticides, additives, chemical, to fungicides/chemical additives to fungicides, agricultural chemicals, except fungicides, weedkillers, herbicides, insecticides and parasiticides, anti-sprouting preparations for vegetables, carbolineum for the protection of plants, chemicals for forestry, except fungicides, herbicides, insecticides and parasiticides, compost, earth for growing, expanded clay for hydroponic plant growing [substrate], fertilizers/manure for agriculture, fertilizing preparations, fish meal fertilizers, flower preservatives, formic acid, genes of seeds for agricultural production, glutinous tree-grafting preparations/glutinous tree-banding preparations/glutinous preparations for tree-banding/glutinous preparations for tree-grafting, grafting wax for trees, grafting mastic for trees, guano, hormones for hastening the ripening of fruit, horticulture chemicals, except fungicides, herbicides, insecticides and parasiticides, humus/potting soil, humus top dressing, loam, nitrogenous fertilisers, nitrogenous lime [manure]/calcium cyanamide [fertilizer], peat pots for horticulture, peat [fertiliser], phosphates [fertilisers], plant growth regulating preparations, potash, potash water, potassium, seaweeds [fertilizers], seed preserving substances, slag [fertilisers], soil conditioning preparations, substrates for soil-free growing [agriculture], superphosphates [fertilisers], preparations of trace elements for plants, tree cavity fillers [forestry], vine disease preventing chemicals, wood vinegar [pyroligneous acid]/pyroligneous acid [wood vinegar].
- Detergents for use in manufacture and industry, detergents for use in manufacturing processes, milk ferments for industrial purposes.
- Chemical substances, chemical materials and chemical preparations, and natural elements, acetate of cellulose, unprocessed, acetates [chemicals]*, acetic anhydride, acetone, acetylene, acetylene tetrachloride, acid proof chemical compositions, acids*, acidulated water for recharging batteries/acidulated water for recharging accumulators, actinium, additives, chemical, to drilling muds/chemical additives to drilling muds, additives, chemical, to motor fuel/chemical additives to motor fuel, detergent additives to petrol [gasoline]/detergent additives to gasoline [petrol]/detergent additives to gasoline, adhesive preparations for surgical bandages, albumin [animal or vegetable, raw material], alcohol*, aldehydes*, alginates for industrial purposes, alkalies, alkaline iodides for industrial purposes, alkaline metals, alkaline-earth metals, alkaloids*, alum, alumina, aluminium alum, aluminium hydrate, aluminium silicate, aluminium chloride, aluminium iodide, aluminium acetate*, americium, ammonia*, ammonia alum, ammonia [volatile alkali] for industrial purposes/volatile alkali [ammonia] for industrial purposes, ammoniacal salts, ammonium salts, ammonium aldehyde, amyl acetate, amyl alcohol, anhydrides, anhydrous ammonia, animal charcoal, animal carbon, animal carbon preparations, anti-boil preparations for engine coolants, anti-frothing solutions for batteries/anti-frothing solutions for accumulators, anti-incrustants, anti-knock substances for internal combustion engines, anti-tarnishing chemicals for windows, antifreeze, antimony, antimony oxide, antimony sulphide, antistatic preparations, other than for household purposes, antranilic acid, argon, arsenic, arsenious acid, astatine, auxiliary fluids for use with abrasives, bacteriological preparations for acetification, balm of gurjun [gurjon, gurjan] for making varnish, barium, barium compounds, barium sulphate, baryta, barytes, bases [chemical preparations], basic gallate of bismuth, bauxite, bentonite, benzene derivatives, benzene-based acids, benzoic acid, benzoic sulphinide, berkelium, bicarbonate of soda for chemical purposes, bichloride of tin, bichromate of potassium, bichromate of soda, foundry binding substances, biochemical catalysts, biological preparations, other than for medical or veterinary purposes, bismuth, blood charcoal, bone charcoal, borax, boric acid for industrial purposes, brazing preparations, brazing fluxes, color- [colour-] brightening chemicals for industrial purposes/color-brightening chemicals for industrial purposes/colour-brightening chemicals for industrial purposes, bromine for chemical purposes, by-products of the processing of cereals for industrial purposes, caesium, calcined soda, calcium carbide, californium, camphor, for industrial purposes, carbide, carbon, carbon sulphide, carbon for filters, carbon black for industrial purposes, carbon tetrachloride, carbonates, carbonic acid, carbonic hydrates, casein for industrial purposes, cassiopium [lutetium]/lutetium [cassiopium], catalysts, caustic alkali, caustic soda for industrial purposes, caustics for industrial purposes, cellulose, cellulose esters for industrial purposes, cellulose derivatives [chemicals], cellulose ethers for industrial purposes, ceramic glazings, ceramic compositions for sintering [granules and powders], compositions for the manufacture of technical ceramics, cerium, chemical preparations for facilitating the alloying of metals, chemical reagents, other than for medical or veterinary purposes, chemical substances for analyses in laboratories, other than for medical or veterinary purposes/chemical preparations for analyses in laboratories, other than for medical or veterinary purposes, chemical intensifiers for paper, chemical intensifiers for rubber, chemical additives for oils, chimney cleaners, chemical, chlorates, chlorides, chlorine, cholic acid, chromates, chrome alum, chrome salts, chromic salts, chromic acid, chromium oxide, citric acid for industrial purposes, clarification preparations/purification preparations, coal saving preparations, cobalt oxide for industrial purposes, combusting preparations [chemical additives to motor fuel], chemical condensation preparations, condensation-preventing chemicals, coolants for vehicle engines, corrosive preparations, cream of tartar for chemical purposes, cream of tartar for industrial purposes, creosote for chemical purposes, crotonic aldehyde, cryogenic preparations, curium, cyanides [prussiates]/prussiates, cymene, decolorants for industrial purposes/bleaching preparations [decolorants] for industrial purposes, defoliants, degreasing preparations for use in manufacturing processes/grease-removing preparations for use in manufacturing processes, dehydrating preparations for industrial purposes, dextrine size, diatomaceous earth, disincrustants, distilled water, dolomite for industrial purposes, dry ice [carbon dioxide], dysprosium, emulsifiers, chemical preparations, except pigments, for the manufacture of enamel, opacifiers for enamel, enamel-staining chemicals, engine-decarbonising chemicals/chemical preparations for decarbonising engines, enzyme preparations for industrial purposes, enzymes for industrial purposes, erbium, esters*, ethane, ethers*, ethyl alcohol, ethyl ether, europium, fat-bleaching chemicals, fatty acids, fermium, ferrocyanides, finishing preparations for use in the manufacture of steel, fissionable chemical elements, fissionable material for nuclear energy, flashlight preparations, flocculants, flowers of sulphur for chemical purposes, fluids for hydraulic circuits/liquids for hydraulic circuits, fluorine, fluorspar compounds, formic aldehyde for chemical purposes, foundry molding [moulding] preparations/foundry molding preparations/foundry moulding preparations, francium, fuel for atomic piles, fuel-saving preparations, fuller's earth for use in textile industry, gadolinium, gallium, gallotannic acid, galvanizing baths/baths for galvanizing, galvanizing preparations, gas propellents for aerosols, gas purifying preparations/preparations for the purification of gas, gelatine for industrial purposes, getters [chemically active substances], opacifiers for glass, preparations for preventing the tarnishing of glass, glass-frosting chemicals, glass-staining chemicals, glucosides, gluten for industrial purposes, glycerides, glycerine for industrial purposes, glycol ether, glycol, graphite for industrial purposes, preparations for the separation of greases, gum arabic for industrial purposes, gum solvents/degumming preparations, heavy water, helium, holmium, hydrates, hydrazine, hydrochlorates, hydrochloric acid, hydrofluoric acid, hydrogen, hydrogen peroxide/dioxide of hydrogen, hypochlorite of soda, hyposulphites, industrial chemicals, iodic acid, iodine for chemical purposes, iodine for industrial purposes, ion exchangers [chemical preparations]/ion exchangers [chemicals], isinglass other than for stationery, household or alimentary purposes, isotopes for industrial purposes, kaolin/china slip/china clay, ketones, kieselgur, krypton, lactic acid, lactose for industrial purposes, lactose [raw material], lamp black for industrial purposes, lanthanum, lead arsenate, lead acetate, lead oxide, lecithin [raw material], lecithin for industrial purposes, preparations for preventing the tarnishing of lenses, lime acetate, lime carbonate, lime chloride, limestone hardening substances, liquids for removing sulphates from batteries/liquids for removing sulphates from accumulators, lithia [lithium oxide], lithium, litmus paper, magnesite, magnesium carbonate, magnesium chloride, magnetic fluid for industrial purposes, manganate, manganese dioxide, mercuric oxide, mercury, metal earths, metal hardening preparations, metal annealing preparations/metal tempering preparations, metalloids, methane, methyl ether, methyl benzol, methyl benzene, chemical preparations to prevent mildew, mineral acids, moderating materials for nuclear reactors, mordants for metals, mould-release preparations/mold-release preparations, naphthalene, neodymium, neon, neptunium, nitrate of uranium, nitrate paper, nitrates, nitric monoxide/nitrous oxide, nitric acid, nitrogen, oil dispersants, oil-bleaching chemicals, oil-purifying chemicals, oil-separating chemicals, oleic acid, olivine [chemical preparations], opacifiers for enamel or glass, oxalates, oxalic acid, oxygen, chemical preparations for the manufacture of paints/chemical preparations for the manufacture of pigments, palladious chlorides, paper pulp, pectin for industrial purposes, perborate of soda, percarbonates, persulphates, persulphuric acid, petroleum dispersants, phenol for industrial purposes, phosphatides, phosphoric acid, phosphorus, picric acid, plutonium, polish removing substances/substances for removing polish, polonium, potassium dioxalate, power steering fluid, praseodymium, preservatives for pharmaceutical preparations, promethium, protactinium, protective gases for welding, pyrogallic acid, quebracho for industrial purposes, radiator flushing chemicals, radon, rare earths, refrigerating preparations/refrigerants, renovating preparations for phonograph records, compositions for repairing tires [tyres]/tire repairing compositions/tyre repairing compositions, rhenium, rubber preservatives, rubidium, substances for preventing runs in stockings, sal ammoniac spirits/spirits of salt, sal ammoniac, salicylic acid, saltpeter/salpetre, samarium, sauce for preparing tobacco, scale removing preparations, other than for household purposes, scandium, sea water for industrial purposes, sebacic acid, selenium, separating and unsticking [ungluing] preparations/ungluing preparations/unsticking and separating preparations, silicates, silicon, silicones, silver salt solutions for silvering, silver nitrate, size for finishing and priming, sizing preparations, soap [metallic] for industrial purposes, soda ash, sodium, soldering chemicals/welding chemicals, soldering fluxes, solidified gases for industrial purposes, solvents for varnishes, soot for industrial or agricultural purposes, spinel [chemical preparations], spirits of vinegar [dilute acetic acid], enamel- and glass-staining chemicals, starch size [chemical preparations]/dressing and finishing preparations for textiles, stearic acid, strontium, sulphides, sulphonic acids, sulphur, sulphuric ether, sulphuric acid, sulphurous acid, talc [magnesium silicate], tan-wood, tannic acid, tartar other than for pharmaceutical purposes, tartaric acid, technetium, tellurium, tensio-active agents/surface-active chemical agents, terbium, tetrachlorides, thallium, thiocarbanilide, thorium, compositions for threading, thulium, titanite, titanium dioxide for industrial purposes, toluol/toluene, toxic gas neutralizers, tragacanth gum for use in manufactures, tungstic acid, uranium, uranium oxide, vinic alcohol, viscose, vitriol/copper sulphate [vitriol], vulcanisation accelerators, vulcanising preparations, wallpaper removing preparations, water glass [soluble glass], chemical preparations for protection against wheat blight [smut]/chemical preparations to prevent wheat smut, witherite, wood alcohol, wood pulp, preparations of the distillation of wood alcohol, xenon, ytterbium, yttrium, zirconia.
- Compositions for fire extinguishing and prevention, fire extinguishing compositions, fireproofing preparations.
- Sensitized paper, photographic paper, photometric paper, sensitized paper.
- Photographic film, Chemical compositions and materials for use in science, bacterial preparations other than for medical and veterinary use, bacteriological preparations other than for medical and veterinary use, biological tissue cultures other than for medical or veterinary purposes, chemical preparations for scientific purposes, other than for medical or veterinary use, cultures of microorganisms other than for medical and veterinary use/preparations of microorganisms other than for medical and veterinary use, diagnostic preparations, other than for medical or veterinary purposes, electrophoresis gels, other than for medical or veterinary purposes, radioactive elements for scientific purposes, radium for scientific purposes, reagent paper, other than for medical or veterinary purposes, stem cells other than for medical or veterinary purposes, test paper, chemical.
- Chemical compositions and materials for use in cosmetics, emollients for industrial purposes.
- Chemical compositions for use in construction, agglutinants for concrete, brickwork preservatives, except paints and oils, cement preservatives, except paints and oils, cement [metallurgy], concrete preservatives, except paints and oils, concrete-aeration chemicals, damp proofing preparations, except paints, for masonry, foundry sand, masonry preservatives, except paints and oils, preservatives for tiles, except paints and oils.
- Chemical compositions for water treatment, water-purifying chemicals, water-softening preparations.
- Compositions and materials for treatment of leather and textile, bate for dressing skins/dressing, except oils, for skins, catechu, currying preparations for leather, currying preparations for skins, fulling preparations for use in textile industry, fulling preparations, gambier, leather-dressing chemicals, leather-impregnating chemicals, leather-renovating chemicals, leather-waterproofing chemicals, mangrove bark for industrial purposes, moistening [wetting] preparations for use in dyeing/wetting preparations for use in dyeing, moistening [wetting] preparations for use in bleaching/wetting preparations for use in bleaching, moistening [wetting] preparations for use in the textile industry/wetting preparations for use in the textile industry, oils for currying leather, oils for preparing leather in the course of manufacture, oils for tanning leather, organic-bleaching chemicals, stain-preventing chemicals for use on fabrics, sumac for use in tanning, tan, tannin, tanning substances, textile-brightening chemicals, textile-impregnating chemicals, textile-waterproofing chemicals, wax-bleaching chemicals.
- Salts for industrial purposes, bismuth nitrite for chemical purposes, calcium salts, gold salts, iodized salts, iron salts, kainite, mercury salts, perchlorates, rock salt, salt for preserving, other than for foodstuffs, salt, raw, salts from rare earth metals, salts for coloring [colouring] metal/salts for coloring metal/salts for colouring metal, salts for galvanic cells/salts for galvanic batteries, salts of precious metals for industrial purposes, salts for industrial purposes, salts [chemical preparations], salts [fertilisers], salts of alkaline metals, sodium salts [chemical preparations], sorrel salt, sulphates.
- Unprocessed and synthetic resins, synthetic materials for absorbing oil, acrylic resins, unprocessed, artificial resins, unprocessed, brake fluid/brake fluids, drilling muds, epoxy resins, unprocessed, synthetic resins, unprocessed, transmission fluid.
- Starches for use in manufacturing and industry, starch for industrial purposes, starch paste [adhesive], other than for stationery or household purposes, starch-liquifying chemicals [ungluing agents]/ungluing agents [chemical preparations for liquifying starch], tapioca flour for industrial purposes.
- Putties, and fillers and pastes for use in industry, glaziers' putty, oil cement [putty].
- Fillers for vehicle body and tire repair, automobile body fillers/car body fillers/fillers for automobile bodies/fillers for car bodies, compositions for repairing inner tubes of tires [tyres].
- Compositions for use in food and beverages, agar-agar, alginates for the food industry, animal albumen [raw material], artificial sweeteners [chemical preparations], beer preserving agents, beer-clarifying and preserving agents, casein for the food industry, preparations for stimulating cooking for industrial purposes, cream of tartar for the food industry, diastase for industrial purposes, enzyme preparations for the food industry, enzymes for the food industry, ferments for chemical purposes, milk ferments for the food industry, flour for industrial purposes, chemical substances for preserving foodstuffs, glucose for industrial purposes, glucose for the food industry, gluten for the food industry, iodized albumen, lactose for the food industry, lecithin for the food industry, malt albumen, meat tenderizers for industrial purposes, milk ferments for chemical purposes, must-fining preparations, oenological bactericides [chemical preparations used in wine making]/chemicals used in fermenting wine, oils for the preservation of food, pectin for the food industry, potato flour for industrial purposes, protein [raw material], saccharin, chemical preparations for smoking meat, wine finings.