South Carolina Foreclosure Law Center

Related Ads

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small

If you are facing foreclosure in South Carolina, start here to learn about the process.

In South Carolina, the foreclosing lender or servicer must sue you in court in order to sell your home -- this is called a judicial foreclosure. If your home is underwater (the mortgage is greater than the value of your home), the lender can also ask for a "deficiency" in its lawsuit. If successful, this would mean the lender could come after you for the difference between the value of your home and the mortgage balance.

Unlike some states, South Carolina doesn't have any special foreclosure mediation programs or funds to assist those going through foreclosure. However, you may qualify for any number of federal loan modification or assistance programs. To learn more about these and other alternatives to foreclosure, visit ourĀ Foreclosure Center.