Resolving Landlord-Tenant Disputes FAQ

Can I get help settling a landlord-tenant dispute out of court?

If you can't work out an agreement on your own, consider mediation by a neutral, third party, called a mediator. Unlike a judge, the mediator has no power to impose a decision, but will simply work to help find a mutually acceptable solution to the dispute. Mediation is often available at little or no cost from a publicly funded program.

For information on local mediation programs, call your mayor's or city manager's office, and ask for the staff member who handles "landlord-tenant mediation matters" or "housing disputes." That person should refer you to the public office, business, or community group that handles landlord-tenant mediations.

For more information on mediation, see the Mediation, Arbitration, and Collaborative Law section of Nolo's website.

Books, Forms & eGuides