Can the Landlord Legally Refuse to Make Space for My Physical Therapy?


I'm disabled with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and depression. I was told by my primary care physician and my pulmonary specialist that I should use a stationary bike to exercise regularly. My landlord, a building manager for a HUD subsidized public housing authority, failed to comply with my request for more space so I could in fact use my bike (I want to move to a slightly larger apartment, which has a place for the bike). Is this illegal under fair housing laws?


Your landlord is required to make only those changes that are reasonable. You cannot, for example, expect him or her to construct a deck for your bike or evict a tenant with a larger space to accommodate your biking request. But asking to move to a bigger unit that's available now does not seem unreasonable.

Have another talk with your landlord. It is hard to imagine that the two of you will not be able to reach a satisfactory solution. If the landlord still refuses to work with you, get in touch with the local U.S. Housing and Urban Development office, or your state's equivalent, and explain the situation.

Swipe to view more

Talk to a Landlord-Tenant attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you