Why should I be required to post a bond for kids' out-of-state visits?


Our divorce decree, signed by a Michigan judge, gave me permission to live in Arizona with my children. One year later, the father petitioned the court for sole custody, and now has temporary custody for no other reason than visitation complaints. The Michigan judge has now ordered me to post a $5,000 cash bond to have visitation in Arizona. Can I fight this in Arizona?


Unfortunately for your, jurisdiction over the case almost certainly remains in Michigan, despite the move. By imposing the bond requirement, it sounds to me like the Michigan judge is trying to prevent the possibility of your taking the kids to Arizona and refusing to let them come back to Michigan. This must be incredibly frustrating. But the bottom line is that you will have to work this out in the Michigan court.

Talk to a Divorce Lawyer

Need professional help? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo