Can mom get quitclaimed property back?

Related Ads

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small


My sister quitclaimed her home to her son last year, when she moved into a nursing home. He has been doing a lousy job taking care of the house, and never visits her, so she'd like to undo the quitclaim. (He probably won't give the house back voluntarily.) What can she do?


Your sister will have to appeal to her son on moral grounds. The law, unfortunately, will not be much help. In general, once someone has relinquished property with a signed deed, the new owner has the right to do with the property as he or she pleases.

If there are special circumstances that make your sister think she retains some right to the property, or if she was somehow incapacitated when she quitclaimed the property, it might be worth her while to consult with a lawyer.

Find a Lawyer
Get Professional Help

For legal advice, you'll need to talk to a lawyer.

Talk to a Real Estate Lawyer