Can an ex-fiance run off with all the savings?

Related Ads
Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer
Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area
searchbox small


I have a friend whose fiancée recently called off their marriage. They shared a joint savings account -- which he contributed to significantly because she didn't work -- and she drained the account. She has told him that he'll get his money back after she talks to an attorney. Can she do this to him? What do you suggest he do?


Unfortunately, the ex-fiancée had a legal right to do what she did. Any one joint holder of an account has the right to withdraw 100% of the money in that account.

All might not be lost, however. Your friend should consider making one more date with the lady in question and do it as soon as possible, asking to see her in small claims court. He should request a judgment for one-half of the money in the account.

Get Informed
Empower yourself with our plain-English information
Do It Yourself
Handle routine tasks with our products
Find a Lawyer
Connect with a local lawyer who meets your needs
The fastest, easiest way to find, choose, and connect to family lawyers