Professions That Qualify Canadians or Mexicans for TN Visas

Citizens of Canada and Mexico are granted temporary U.S. work visas through the NAFTA agreement.

Certain Canadian and Mexican professionals are granted special work privileges under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). If the worker has a job offer from a U.S. employer in a qualifying profession, he or she can apply for what is called TN status. The application process is easier than for many other nonimmigrant (temporary) U.S. visas, such as the H-1B visa.

The qualifying occupations are:

  • accountant
  • architect (degree or license)
  • computer systems analyst (with a college degree, postsecondary diploma, or postsecondary certificate and three years’ experience)
  • dentist (professional degree or license)
  • disaster relief claims adjuster (training plus a degree or three years’ experience)
  • economist
  • engineer (degree or license)
  • forester (degree or license)
  • graphic designer (degree or postsecondary  diploma plus three years’ experience)
  • hotel manager (licensure degree, or diploma or certificate plus three years’ experience)
  • industrial designer (degree, or certificate or diploma plus three years’ experience)
  • interior designer (degree, or certificate or diploma plus three years’ experience)
  • land surveyor (degree or license)
  • landscape architect
  • lawyer (member of Canadian, Mexican, or U.S. bar)
  • librarian (Master’s degree)
  • management consultant (degree or five years’ experience)
  • mathematician (including statistician)
  • medical professions:
    •  dietitian (degree or license)
    •  medical lab technologist (degree, or certificate or diploma plus three years’ experience)
    •  nutritionist
    •  occupational therapist (degree or license)
    •  pharmacist (degree or license)
    •  physician (M.D.; teaching or research position only)
    •  physio/physical therapist (degree or license)
    •  psychologist
    •  recreational therapist
    •  registered nurse (license)
    •  veterinarian (professional degree or license)
    • range manager or conservationist
    • research assistant (for colleges or universities only)
    • scientific technician (degree not required if you are working with professionals in: agricultural sciences, astronomy, biology, chemistry, engineering, forestry, geology, geophysics, meteorology, or physics)
    • scientist working as:
      •  agronomist
      •  agriculturist
      •  animal breeder
      •  animal scientist
      •  apiculturist
      •  astronomer
      •  biochemist
      •  biologist
      •  chemist
      •  dairy scientist
      •  entomologist
      •  epidemiologist
      •  geneticist
      •  geochemist
      •  geologist
      •  geophysicist
      •  horticulturist
      •  meteorologist
      •  pharmacologist
      •  physicist
      •  plant breeder
      •  poultry scientist
      •  soil scientist
      •  zoologist
      • social worker
      • silviculturist
      • teacher (at a college, university, or seminary only)
      • technical publications writer (degree, diploma, or certificate plus three years’ experience)
      • urban planner, and
      • vocational counselor.

The person seeking TN status must be coming to the U.S. temporarily, to engage in business activities at a professional level. The person must also meet the minimum requirements for the profession or occupation in question, as set forth in Appendix 1603.D.1 to Annex 1603 of NAFTA (also found at 8 C.F.R. § 2145.6(c)).

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo