Marriage Requirements, Licenses, and Ceremonies FAQ
Can anyone get married to anyone?
1. Can anyone get married to anyone?
You must meet certain requirements in order to marry. These vary slightly from state to state, but generally include:
- being at least the age of consent (usually 18, though sometimes you may marry younger with your parents' consent)
- not being too closely related to your intended spouse
- having sufficient mental capacity -- that is, you must understand what you are doing and what consequences your actions may have
- being sober at the time of the marriage
- not being married to anyone else
- getting a blood test (in just a few states), and
- obtaining a marriage license.