Illinois extends special protections to tenants who are victims of domestic violence. Here are some of the domestic violence (DV) laws that apply to tenants:
- Landlord entitled to proof of DV status
- Early termination right for DV victim
- DV is an affirmative defense to an eviction lawsuit
- DV victim has the right to have the locks changed
- Landlord or court may bifurcate the lease, which means that the landlord may evict the abuser, but not the victim of the domestic violence
- Landlord may not disclose to others that a tenant has exercised a right under the law; violations expose landlord to damages that result, or $2,000.
Check the Illinois statute (765 Ill. Comp. Stat. §â