Filing a Complaint in Court to Evict a Tenant in Michigan

How to file an eviction complaint in Michigan court.

This article details the steps a landlord needs to take in order to file an eviction complaint in court. You will need to prepare a summons and a complaint before attempting to file the eviction lawsuit with the court. The complaint is the legal document that provides the details about the case and the requested outcome of the eviction, and the summons is the legal document that informs the tenant he or she is being sued for eviction and provides a hearing date set by the court. If you need help preparing these legal documents, see Michigan-Specific Nolo articles  How to Prepare a Complaint in Court to Evict a Tenant  and  How to Prepare a Summons  for details.

Where to File an Eviction Lawsuit

Once you complete preparation of the summons and complaint forms, you must go to the district court that has jurisdiction over your landlord-tenant action. Jurisdiction means the court that is legally allowed to handle your case. For evictions in Michigan, the proper court to file the eviction lawsuit is the district court that handles lawsuits for the city, town, or village in which the rental property is located. One district court may handle lawsuits for numerous cities. If you are asking for monetary payment in your complaint that exceeds $25,000, you must file your eviction action in the circuit court for the county in which the rental property is located. The  Michigan Trial Courts  website provides helpful information on understanding in which court your complaint must be filed. The  Michigan Trial Court Directory  allows you to view information about all courts in Michigan.

Filing Eviction Papers at the Courthouse

You will need to bring to the court four copies of the completed summons and complaint (or carbon-copy form), the lease or rental agreement, and the 7-day demand or 30-day notice to quit. At the court, you will present all completed documents to the court clerk for filing. The court clerk either issues (fills in the required court hearing date) the landlord’s summons on the spot or informs the landlord when the summons will be ready.

Filing Eviction Papers by Mail

Rather than going in person, you can also mail all the documents to the court with a postage-paid return envelope.

Court Filing Fees

You must pay a filing fee to the court at the time of filing the summons and complaint with attachments. If you are asking the court only to evict the tenant, then the filing fee is $45. If you are requesting an eviction and payment of rent due, or other money payment, the filing fee is whatever amount the court charges for a civil action seeking monetary payment. For example, if the complaint is asking the tenant to pay the landlord over $10,000, the filing fee is $150.  (See  M.C.L. § 600.5756).

Next Steps

After filing the summons and complaint and court, you must properly serve the tenants these documents before the court hearing date. For details on legal service, see the Nolo  article  How to Serve a Complaint to Evict a Tenant in Michigan.

Resources on Michigan Landlord-Tenant Law

The  Michigan Courts Self-Help Center  provides useful information on evictions and taking court action. Another useful site is  Michigan Legal Help, which provides advice on housing-related legal issues, including evictions, for both landlords and tenants. The Michigan Legislature’s website publishes a useful  guide to landlord-tenant law  in Michigan.

Swipe to view more

Talk to a Landlord-Tenant attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you