How can I find a credit counseling agency that provides services in Chinese?

If you need pre-bankruptcy credit counseling in Mandarin, Taiwanese, or Cantonese, go to the website of the U.S. Trustee.

Related Ads

Need Help? Talk to a Bankruptcy Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Find Local Bankruptcy Lawyers

searchbox small


My mother-in-law is filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I am helping her with the paperwork. I know that she must take a credit counseling course before she files her petition. But she speaks only Chinese (Mandarin to be exact). Are there any agencies that offer credit counseling in Mandarin?


Yes. You can find a credit counseling agency that provides services in Mandarin Chinese (and in Taiwanese and Cantonese) on the website of the U.S. Trustee.

As you already know, your mother-in-law must take a credit counseling course sometime within the 180-day period before she files for bankruptcy.  She can meet this requirement by participating in counseling in person, over the telephone, or online. The purpose of the counseling is to explore ways to handle her debt without resort to bankruptcy. Your mother-in-law can still for bankruptcy, however, even if the counselor recommends another course of action.

After participating in the session, the counseling agency will provide her with a certificate of completion; she must file this with her bankruptcy petition or within 15 days of her bankruptcy filing.  (Learn more about the credit counseling requirement for bankruptcy, including the rare instances when a bankruptcy filer does not have to get counseling.)

Your mother-in-law must get this counseling from an agency that is approved by the Office of the United States Trustee. You can find a list of approved agencies, by state, on the U.S. Trustee’s website.  If you click on your state, you’ll find an extensive list of providers – but these counseling agencies only provide services in English and Spanish.

To find a list of providers that speak Chinese (including Mandarin, Taiwanese, and Cantonese ), scroll down to the section that says “Approved Agencies Offering Services in Languages Other Than English or Spanish,” and then choose “Chinese, Mandarin.” Many of the credit counseling agencies only offer counseling in Mandarin over the phone. But this is sufficient to meet the bankruptcy filing requirement.

Talk to a Bankruptcy Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

how it works 1
Briefly tell us about your case
how it works 2
Provide your contact information
how it works 1
Connect with local attorneys
Related Ads