Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer.


If you are filing a claim on behalf of a corporation, whether profit or nonprofit, list the corporation itself as the plaintiff. In most states, the corporation may be represented at the hearing by either:

  • an officer or director of the corporation, or
  • an employee who is authorized to file claims on behalf of the corporation by the corporation's board of directors. If a nonofficer of a corporation signs the forms, the court clerk may want to see some documentation that the person suing is properly authorized.

Check your state laws for any special rules about corporations as plaintiffs.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo