Suits by Minors

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer.


If you are under 18 years old, your parent or legal guardian must sue for you. The exception is that, in some states, emancipated minors can sue on their own. When your parents or guardians sue on your behalf, they must fill out a form asking to have one of them appointed your guardian ad litem and have the form signed by the judge. "Guardian ad litem" means "guardian for the purposes of the lawsuit." Ask the court clerk for the rules in your state.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo