How to Serve a Government Agency

Related Ads

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small

As discussed in Chapter 8, before you can sue a city, county, or other government agency you must first file an administrative (in-house) claim against that agency within a specified number of days after the incident that gave rise to your claim. (The fact that you have done this must be stated in your plaintiff's claim.) After your claim is denied–or if it is ignored–you can go ahead and sue in small claims court. To serve your papers, call the governmental body in question and ask who should be served. Then proceed, following the rules set out in "How to Serve an Individual," above.

Get Informed

Empower yourself with our plain-English information

Do It Yourself

Handle routine tasks with our products

Find a Lawyer

Connect with a local lawyer who meets your needs

The fastest, easiest way to find, choose, and connect to small claims court lawyers

Related Ads