Choosing a form of shared housing has much to do with your wants, needs, and resources. Some factors to consider include:
- How much personal space do you need? Do you want your own unit?
- Do you want to own property or rent?
- Would you prefer to form a new shared housing arrangement or join an existing one?
- Will you move into existing structures, retrofit to accommodate shared housing, or build new housing?
- Do you want to create a community of people with shared interests or needs, such as senior housing?
The worksheet below will help you identify the issues most important to you. You can share this worksheet with the people you plan to live with. It can help you get to know each other, determine your compatibility, and choose a housing arrangement.