Suing to Get My Deposit Back

What to do if your landlord refuses to give back you deposit.

If your landlord has unfairly kept your deposit by making improper deductions or failing to return it within the time specified by your state’s law, it’s time to shift gears. You should send the landlord a letter (return receipt requested) asking for the return of your deposit or what you think your landlord owes you. In the letter, concisely review the main facts, ask for exactly what you want, and explain your legal rights. Conclude by stating that you will promptly sue in small claims court if necessary.â

Swipe to view more

Talk to a Landlord-Tenant attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you