How to Find a HUD-Approved Housing Counselor

If you need a HUD-Approved Housing Counselor, here's where to start.

I strongly suggest that you find a HUD-approved housing counselor. These counselors can help you assess your mortgage situation and, if possible, negotiate a solution with your lender that will keep you in your house. Lenders—which suffer economically from foreclosures and benefit if something can be worked out—are a principal source of funds for these agencies. Here's how you can find a counselor to help you.

  • The federal Department of Housing and Urban Develop­ment (HUD) has a list of approved counselors. You can find a HUD-approved counselor at (click "Talk to a Housing Counselor") or by calling 800-569-4287.
  • The Homeownership Preservation Foundation website,, offers free online counseling, among other things. Or you can call 888-995-HOPE (4673) and talk with someone.
  • The Homeowner Crisis Resource Center,, will link you up with a local nonprofit foreclosure prevention specialist who may or may not be HUD-approved.
Swipe to view more

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo