Filing Taxes: Top Ten FAQ

What should I do if I don't get my refund?

If you filed your tax return at least eight weeks ago, call the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Or, call the 24-hour ­assistance number at 800-829-1040 and ­request assistance from the taxpayer advocate.

You can also check your refund status online at the IRS website ( Go to "Where's My Refund?" You'll need your Social Security number, filing status, and exact whole dollar amount of your refund.

If you filed your return on or before April 15 and don't receive your refund until after May 31, the IRS must pay you interest.

If you never get a refund, it may have been intercepted to pay any of the following:

  • state or federal taxes you owe
  • a defaulted student, SBA, or other federal government loan
  • delinquent child support
  • a public benefit overpayment (such as HUD, VA, or Social Security).

In these ­situations, you are supposed to be notified in writing, but don't count on it.

Talk to a Tax Attorney

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo