Filing Taxes: Top Ten FAQ

Can I get an extension to pay a tax without penalties and interest?

Probably not. Although you can get extensions to file your tax return, you still must pay by April 15 or the IRS can impose a penalty and charge interest. You can try pleading hardship on IRS Form 1127 to get up to six months ­extra to pay, but the IRS may require that you post a bond or mortgage, which is impractical for most people. Few payment extensions are granted. Even then, only penalties, not interest, stop accruing. Form 1127 works best in requesting an extension to pay ­estate taxes. For more information, see Filing and Paying Taxes Late.

Talk to a Tax Attorney

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys

Legal Information & Books from Nolo