Deficiency Judgments After Foreclosure in Nebraska

If you lose your home through foreclosure in Nebraska and the sale proceeds don't cover your mortgage balance, the lender can sue you for the deficiency.

Related Ads

Need Professional Help? Talk to a Lawyer

Enter Your Zip Code to Connect with a Lawyer Serving Your Area

searchbox small

In Nebraska, if you go through foreclosure and the sale price is not enough to cover the balance of your mortgage, your lender can come after you for the "deficiency." Read on to learn what a deficiency judgment is, when your mortgage lender can collect one against you in Nebraska, and what happens to the deficiency in a short sale or a deed in lieu of foreclosure in Nebraska.

(For more articles on Nebraska foreclosure, visit our Nebraska Foreclosure Law Center.)

What Is a Deficiency After Foreclosure?

When a lender forecloses on a mortgage, the total debt owed by the borrowers to the lender frequently exceeds the foreclosure sale price. The difference between the sale price and the total debt is called a deficiency.

Example. Say the total debt owed is $200,000, but the home only sells for $150,000 at the foreclosure sale. The deficiency is $50,000.

In some states, the lender can seek a personal judgment against the debtor to recover the deficiency. Generally, once the lender gets a deficiency judgment, the lender may collect this amount (in our example, $50,000) from the borrowers by doing such things as garnishing the borrowers’ wages or levying the borrowers’ bank account. (Learn about methods that creditors can use to collect judgments.)

(To learn more about deficiency judgments in the foreclosure context, see our Deficiency Judgments After Foreclosure area.)

Nebraska Deficiency Judgments

Most foreclosures in Nebraska are nonjudicial, which means the lender does not have to go through state court to get one. (However, sometimes foreclosures in Nebraska are judicial, where the lender forecloses through the state court system. To learn more about the difference between judicial and nonjudicial foreclosure, and the procedures for each, see Will Your Foreclosure Take Place In or Out of Court?)

Learn more about Nebraska foreclosure procedures.

Deficiency judgments are allowed in Nebraska. To obtain a deficiency judgment, the lender must bring a lawsuit for the deficiency within three months after the foreclosure sale date (Neb. Rev. Stat. § 76–1013).

Limitation on deficiency judgments. The amount of the deficiency judgment is limited to the lesser of the difference between:

  • the total indebtedness and the foreclosure sale price, or
  • the total indebtedness and the fair market value of the property at the date of the foreclosure sale (Neb. Rev. Stat. § 76–1013).

Can Lenders of Second Mortgages, HELOCs, and Other Junior Liens Collect From You?

Generally, when a senior lienholder forecloses, any junior liens (these would include second mortgages and HELOCs, among others) are also foreclosed and those junior lienholders lose their security interest in the real estate. If a junior lienholder has been sold-out in this manner, that junior lienholder can sue you personally on the promissory note. This means that if the equity in your home doesn’t cover second and third mortgages, you may face lawsuits from those lenders to collect the balance of the loans.

Learn more in our article What Happens to Liens and Second Mortgages in Foreclosure?

Deficiency After a Short Sale in Nebraska

A short sale is when you sell your home for less than the total debt balance remaining on your mortgage and the proceeds of the sale pay off a portion of the mortgage balance. (Learn more about short sales to avoid foreclosure.)

In Nebraska, a lender can get a deficiency judgment following a short sale. To avoid a deficiency judgment, the short sale agreement must expressly state that the lender waives its right to the deficiency. If the short sale agreement does not contain this waiver, the lender may file a lawsuit to obtain a deficiency judgment.

Deficiency After a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure in Nebraska

A deed in lieu of foreclosure occurs when a lender agrees to accept a deed to the property instead of foreclosing in order to obtain title. With a deed in lieu of foreclosure, the deficiency amount is the difference between the fair market value of the property and the total debt. (Learn more about deeds in lieu of foreclosure.)

In Nebraska, a lender can get a deficiency judgment following a deed in lieu of foreclosure. To avoid a deficiency judgment with a deed in lieu of foreclosure, the agreement must expressly state that the transaction is in full satisfaction of the debt. If the deed in lieu of foreclosure agreement does not contain this provision, the lender may file a lawsuit to obtain a deficiency judgment against you.

Nebraska Foreclosure Law

To read the statutes that govern foreclosures in Nebraska, go to the Nebraska Legislature’s webpage at and click on “Bills and Laws,” then “Law Search,” and “Nebraska Revised Statutes.” Look in Chapter 76, §§ 76-1005 to 76-1018 (nonjudicial foreclosures) and Chapter 25, §§ 25-2137 to 25-2155 (judicial foreclosures).

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

how it works 1
Briefly tell us about your case
how it works 2
Provide your contact information
how it works 1
Connect with local attorneys
Related Ads