Deficiency Judgments After Foreclosure in Kansas

In Kansas, if the foreclosure sale of your home is not enough to pay off your mortgage balance, the lender can collect the deficiency from you.

In certain circumstances in Kansas, you might owe your mortgage lender money after a foreclosure sale of your home. This is called a deficiency. Read on to learn what a deficiency judgment is, whether your mortgage lender can collect one against you in Kansas, and what happens to the deficiency in a short sale or a deed in lieu of foreclosure.

What Is a Deficiency After Foreclosure?

When a lender forecloses on a mortgage, the total debt owed by the borrower to the lender frequently exceeds the foreclosure sale price. The difference between the sale price and the total debt is called a deficiency.

Example. Say the total debt owed is $200,000, but the home only sells for $150,000 at the foreclosure sale. The deficiency is $50,000.

In some states, the lender can seek a personal judgment against the debtor to recover the deficiency. Generally, once the lender gets a deficiency judgment, the lender may collect this amount (in our example, $50,000) from the borrower by doing such things as garnishing the borrowers’ wages or levying the borrowers’ bank account. (Learn about methods that creditors can use to collect judgments.)

(To learn more about deficiency judgments in the foreclosure context, see our Deficiency Judgments After Foreclosure area.)

Kansas Deficiency Judgments

Foreclosures in Kansas are judicial, which means the lender has to go through state court to get one. (To learn more about the difference between judicial and nonjudicial foreclosure, and the procedures for each, see Will Your Foreclosure Take Place In or Out of Court?)

Deficiency judgments are generally allowed in Kansas. However, if the court determines that the bid at the foreclosure sale was substantially inadequate, it can refuse to confirm the sale. In ordering a sale or a resale, the court can fix a minimum or upset price (Kan. Stat. Ann. § 60-2415).

A sale price that includes the full amount of the judgment, taxes, interest, and costs is considered adequate (Kan. Stat. Ann. § 60-2415).

Also, if the borrowers are served by publication only (rather than personally or posting and mailing), then a deficiency judgment is not allowed (Kansas Stat. Ann. § 60-307(b)). However, a deficiency judgment is allowed if the borrower submits to the jurisdiction of the court by filing an answer to the petition, for example.

Learn more about foreclosure procedures in Kansas.

Can Lenders of Second Mortgages, HELOCs, and Other Junior Liens Collect From You?

Generally, when a senior lienholder forecloses, any junior liens (these would include second mortgages and HELOCs, among others) are also foreclosed and those junior lienholders lose their security interest in the real estate. If a junior lienholder has been sold-out in this manner, that junior lienholder can sue you personally on the promissory note. This means that if the equity in your home doesn’t cover second and third mortgages, you may face lawsuits from those lenders to collect the balance of the loans.

Learn more in our article What Happens to Liens and Second Mortgages in Foreclosure?

Deficiency After a Short Sale in Kansas

A short sale is when you sell your home for less than the total debt balance remaining on your mortgage and the proceeds of the sale pay off a portion of the mortgage balance. (Learn more about short sales to avoid foreclosure.)

There is no Kansas law that says a lender cannot get a deficiency judgment following a short sale. To avoid a deficiency judgment entirely, the short sale agreement must expressly state that the lender waives its right to the deficiency. If the short sale agreement does not contain this waiver, the lender may file a lawsuit to obtain a deficiency judgment.

Deficiency After a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure in Kansas

A deed in lieu of foreclosure occurs when a lender agrees to accept a deed to the property instead of foreclosing in order to obtain title. With a deed in lieu of foreclosure, the deficiency amount is the difference between the fair market value of the property and the total debt. (Learn more about deeds in lieu of foreclosure.)

Often, a deed in lieu of foreclosure is deemed to fully satisfy the debt. However, lenders frequently look for new ways to recoup their losses and Kansas does not have a law that says the lender cannot get a deficiency judgment following a deed in lieu of foreclosure. This means that a lender may try to hold the borrower liable for a deficiency following a deed in lieu of foreclosure.

To avoid a deficiency judgment with a deed in lieu of foreclosure, the agreement must expressly state that the transaction is in full satisfaction of the debt. If the deed in lieu of foreclosure agreement does not contain this provision, the lender may file a lawsuit to obtain a deficiency judgment.

Kansas Foreclosure Law

To read the statute that governs Kansas deficiency judgments, go to, click on “Statute,” and then look in Chapter 60, Article 24.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find foreclosure lawyers near you.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Legal Information & Books from Nolo