The focus of my firm is to bring my education, skill, experience and determination in defending each and every one of my clients against State or Federal government persecution. I am the firm. I began successfully defending citizens while still in law school. My focus is to follow the mold of old fashioned lawyers who took a case and defended their client at every turn. I represent clients before juries, before appellate courts and in Rule 32 proceedings and on writs of habeas corpus. I have no law partners or firm employer to answer too. I alone make all decisions that impact my client's representation. All decisions are made in my client's best interest. I have a statewide practice and primarily represent citizens throughout northern Arizona, Holbrook, Navajo County Superior Court, Flagstaff, Coconino County Superior Court, Prescott and Camp Verde, Yavapai County Superior Court and Sedona Municipal Court.
The majority of my career I have worked as a solo practitioner. I have been practicing criminal law for over 25 years. The firm's history is my history as a lawyer. That history is reflected in a willingness to take the most difficult cases under the most difficult circumstances. Whether that be a seemingly impossible white collar case, challenging an illegal search and seizure on a drug case, or stopping the execution of a condemned death row inmate. I take all cases (time permitting). That is what I do, that is who I am as a lawyer. See the Representative cases section of my web page at lawyergorman.com.
• State v. Lawrence Henniger CR92-090608 (Accused of Money Laundering. All charges dismissed with prejudice. Defense of entrapment.)
• State v. Jeffery Robert Buchan CR87-007934. (Accused of Sale of Marijuana. Not guilty, defense of entrapment.)
• State v. David Kiehle CR99-091679. (Rule 32 post-conviction proceeding. 1st Murder conviction reversed, retrial ordered.)
• State v. Arturo Sesma Cr99-009337 (Trial Court proceedings. Two counts of 1st degree murder dismissed with prejudice.)
• State v. Snelling 236 P3d 409 (2010) (Direct Appeal to Arizona Supreme Court. Death sentence reversed.)
• State v. Norma Lopez Cr88-000362-B (Trial Court proceedings. Battered Women's Defense. All charges dismissed.)
• State v. Kyle David Sharp CR95-271(2008) (Rule 32 post-conviction proceeding. Death sentence reversed. Retrial ordered.)
• State v. Hall, 204 Ariz. 442 (2003) (Direct Appeal to Arizona Supreme Court. Murder conviction reversed, death sentence vacated.)
• State v. Cropper, 181 (2003) (Direct appeal to Arizona Supreme Court, death sentence reversed.)
I offer a free phone consultation. No free in-person consultations. There is a fee for in-person consultations.
I offer a flat rate non-refundable retainer on cases.
I am willing to give a discount to clients referred by Nolo.
$200 to $ 350 per hour depending on the case.
Citizens in trouble need access to counsel 24/7. So I keep my cell phone on at all times for emergencies and have flexible office hours dictated by the needs of my clients.
I like people. I want to defend people. I do not want to represent institutions. In criminal defense, one defends human beings against the government. The last thing I want to do as a lawyer is defend or represent an institution, a corporation or the government.
It is good for a client to understand and assist counsel in their defense.
Good client communication is imperative. Whether that be in the form of oral or written communication, both are welcome.
Every citizen has a constitutional right under the 6th Amendment of self-representation. I am willing if a citizen wants to hire me as a consultant to provide advice on criminal substantive and procedural law and/or constitutional law. However, someone who wants to represent themselves should reflect on the old saying, "A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client."
I had a brief period of employment with private firms while in law school and the public defender's office, as well as legal aid. For the most part, I have been a sole practitioner the majority of my career.
Most of my experience, education etc., is reflected elsewhere in my bio. My life experience in athletics (football, rugby, running, yoga, weight training) taught me the value of preparation. I learned that many have the will to win; few have the will to prepare to win. In law one must prepare to defend their client. I always prepare to win.
I am well educated in the law, have substantially more experience than most and I never quit.Personal interests:
Yoga, weight lifting, hiking, climbing, reading, music, nutrition, biking and motorcycling.
* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.