Law Offices of Sharyn T. Sooho

A family law practice

Contact Us

Firm Overview

Sharyn T. Sooho has practiced family law for over 20 years. She appears on television, radio, lectures frequently, edits the Family Law Advisor, and co-authored How to File for Divorce in Massachusetts, Sourcebooks - 1997, 1998, 2000.
Ms. Sooho is a trial lawyer experienced in identifying and valuing hidden assets and income, winning custody, and maximizing alimony. Concentrating in divorce matters since 1977, Ms. Sooho received her B.A. in Art History from Brandeis University, and her J.D. degree from Boston University School of Law.
Ms. Sooho is a member of the Family Law Sections of the Massachusetts Bar Association and American Bar Association; former director of the Divorce Center, and various boards, and trustee of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Historical Society.
Main Office

2 Newton Place, Suite 200
Newton  MA  02458

  • 617-969-1400
  • 617-964-1694

Sharyn Sooho

Sharyn Sooho is a divorce attorney in Massachusetts

  • Bar Number: License to practice
    Massachusetts , 1977
  • Boston University School of Law
    J.D. , 1976
    Boston, MA
  • Brandeis University
    A.B. , 1969
    Waltham, MA

Articles Written

Psychological Testing in Custody Cases

Created On: 01/21/2009

If you are fighting for custody of your children, chances are you have met with at least one mental health professional for an evaluation of your parenting skills and have undergone interviews and possibly psychological testing that is designed to provide further information about each parent's ability to parent. 

Unemancipated Children Over 18 Years Old: Child Support in Massachusetts

Created On: 01/21/2009

The terms "minor child" and "unemancipated child" are often used interchangeably, but they do have different legal meanings. The term "minor" according to Black's Law Dictionary means "an infant or person who is under the age of legal competence." In Massachusetts the "age of legal competence" is 18 years of age.

Life After Divorce in Massachusetts - FAQs

Created On: 01/21/2009

My ex-spouse (or “ex”) and I have an agreement and court order that says we share college expenses equally, but my ex isn't paying. What can I do?

You can file a motion (request) to enforce your agreement and for contempt with the divorce court. “Contempt” refers to a violation of a court’s order.

Massachusetts Alimony FAQs

Created On: 01/21/2009

What is alimony?

Alimony is money one spouse is ordered to pay to the other following a divorce. These days, alimony is often referred to as "spousal support," although Massachusetts law still uses the older term. 

Do divorce courts always award alimony? 

No. It depends on the financial circumstances of the spouses.