Our success is measured by excellence in client service, not production numbers of estate plans pushed out the door or maximizing clients seen per day. Our firm was established in 1980.Example cases
I have focused on trusts and estates since the mid-1990s. Before this, I was a Washington D.C. litigator. A select sampling of case types follows:
• Represented Mr. Harvy Furgatch in FEC v. Furgatch, No. 83-0956-GT(M) (S.D. Cal. 1984), (unpublished opinion), rev'd, 807 F.2d 857 (9th Cir.), cert. denied, 484 U.S. 850 (1987), on remand (S.D. Cal. April 26, 1988) (unpublished order), aff'd in part, vacated and remanded in part, 869 F.2d 1256 (9th Cir. 1989), cert. denied. [Constitutionality of full page NY Times ad as reportable political speech]
• I tried a number of criminal cases in superiour court and political asylum cases in US Immigration Court. I also tried securities fraud cases representing both plaintiffs and defendants typically in arbitration before the NASD, now The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or FINRA.
I currently refer out litigation and am focused on litigation avoidance and settling family conflicts by mediation. I do serve as a medical advocate with recalcitrant medical providers and institutions.
2010 Corporate Ridge
McLean VA 22102
Yes, 30 minutes.
There is no charge for a 30-minute planning conference, after which I normally quote a flat fee depending upon factors such as complexity, amount of face time client desires, time to draft and delivery work product, and other related factors. I will provide a 10% courtesy adjustment for clients referred through Nolo.
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Other times and on-site meetings by pre-arrangement and typically based on client need. i.e. retirement homes and death bed crisis.
I have a shared assistant and receptionist.
To prepare my age group, i.e. 75 million baby boomers, for the aging process.
I pride myself as an educator of the of the public on estate planning and elder law, working hard to simplify the complex so that each individual may be informed and encouraged to plan ahead and avoid life crisis. I have taught Adult Education courses in both Fairfax and Arlington. Further I believe the consumer has an obligation to self-educate in order to make prudent decisions in their life planning.
I have limited experience with review of self-prepared legal instruments. My initial impression is that I prefer to direct my time toward educating the consumer through classroom and internet teaching.
With probate and trust administration, in addition to my legal role, I serve as a legal coach to ensure compliance with relevant tax, property, probate, and other state laws. The client does as much as they desire and can handle themselves. We meet regularly to make sure the matter is on track. If the client desires, I will also handle the entire probate or trust administration subject to the client approval of recommendations.
Public Affairs Attorney, United States Chamber of Commerce responsible for legal counsel on political law matters (1977-1980).
• Drafting my son's estate plan before he joined the Marine Corp during the height of fighting in Falusa, Iraq in 2004, and updating while he deployed Iraq and Afghanistan.
• Working with my siblings and father in my mother's final illness and ultimate death in Augut 2010. Administration of my mother's estate.
I now identify and tailor my services to meet the individual needs of my estate planning and elder law clients. See, for example, my website under the tab "My Seasons of Life".
Competency, integrity and client devotion.Personal interests:
My law practice is my primary life style. I enjoy teaching, mentoring, and practicing law. I travel on occasion, and will take my wife and 85 year old father on a cruise up the Rhine River from Basis Switzerland to Amsterdam the first two weeks of May 2011. In past years, I enjoyed travel with the bar association leadership to Argentina, Portugal and Sicily. I also like backyard bird watching, especially for our state bird, the red cardinal.
* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.