Michael D. Stein, A Law Corporation was established in 1976 and has been active since that time. I have been practicing criminal defense for over 35 years. Upon graduation from law school, I took and passed both the California and Arizona bar examinations. Although I maintain offices in both San Diego, CA and El Centro, CA, my practice takes me all over the state of California. I have also practiced in well over 15 federal courts in the United States. My current practice is split between state and federal courts.
We provide high quality and personalized representation without the expense of a large firm. Our fees are fair and affordable.
• Client charged with DUI, having a blood alcohol of .11% - dismissed
• Client charged with DUI, blood alcohol .11% - charges dismissed to reckless driving
• Petty theft with a prior conviction - dismissed
• Real estate fraud $500,000 - reduced to a misdemeanor probation
• 400 pounds of marijuana - dismissed
• 2,400 pounds of ephedrine for manufacturing methamphetamine - probation granted
• Possession of $285,000 drug proceeds - probation granted
• 2,100 pounds of cocaine - 18 month sentence
For more information, please visit our website.
1013 West State Street
El Centro CA 92243
We offer a free initial consultation.
Flat fee retainers are available for most criminal matters. It is common for a criminal case to require multiple court appearances. Many clients prefer to have a fixed legal fee to avoid hourly billing for these court appearances. Misdemeanor and DUI retainers start at $1,500 and felony retainers start at $2,500.
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Weekends by appointment.
I began practicing criminal defense at the public defender's office. I loved criminal law from day one. I enjoy people very much. I like interaction with clients, prosecutors, and judges. When I step into the courtroom, everyone except me is against my client. I like the client to know there is at least one ally on his side. I enjoy knowing that I will do everything within the law to help my client.
I believe an educated client is always the best to work with. I represent clients who are charged with crimes. Every situation is different, but most cases have the potential of jail time, fines, and most likely lengthy probation periods. If the client is educated, he can help me in making the best possible decision in how we handle his case.
I am a solo practitioner and try to give one on one attention to my clients. I am always willing to review any documents prepared by my clients. Client input is always welcome. Clients should always participate in their own defense.
I do not recommend clients represent themselves in a criminal matter. In the criminal arena, a client will be opposed by highly skilled prosecutors who will have a tremendous advantage.
I began my legal career as a law clerk for the Los Angeles County Public Defender's Office. Upon passing the bar, I worked as a Deputy Public Defender for four years. During my time there, I handled almost every type of misdemeanor and felony case. In 1976, I moved my family to San Diego, CA and opened my own private practice. Since that time I have specialized in criminal cases exclusively. Having my own practice has allowed me to limit the amount of cases I handle and give personalized, one on one attention to each client. I have also been able to keep the costs down in an effort to make my services more affordable.
Having worked as a public defender for four years, I have seen firsthand how the system can treat people unfairly. I want to make sure that my clients do not receive the same unjust treatment.
I have been practicing criminal law exclusively since law school. I have tried almost every type of criminal case. While I would describe my practice as aggressive, I still maintain good judgment in handling my cases. My negotiating skills are excellent; however, if a case needs to be tried by a jury, I do enjoy a chance to litigate.Personal interests:
I enjoy being with my family. Travel, sports, and theater are my favorites.
* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.