Firm Overview

Jane Kim represents the best interests of parents and their children, in and out of court. Whether child support, custody or visitation, Jane Kim will aggressively represent you in an efficient, cost-effective and personalized manner. Her clients are informed and understand the status of their case at all times and receive responses to communications within few hours or less.

Jane Kim is also trained in Collaborative Divorce so that a civil divorce out of court is always an option.

For your convenience KYZ Law has two locations in suburban Northbrook and downtown Chicago.

Please mention NOLO to receive a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant on your second invoice from us.
Main Office
Downtown Chicago
300 N Lasalle
Suite 4925
Chicago  IL  60654
  • 312.945.7795
  • 815.717.9595


Free Initial Consultation?
Services Offered For Fixed Fees?
Uncontested divorces with or without children can be offered for a flat fee.
Property tax appeals are offered at a set percentage.
Hourly Rates
No higher fees for court appearances, meaning you pay the same hourly fee whether in or out of court.

Office Information

Office Hours
Monday through Friday 8:30am to 5pm
Emergency After Hours
Languages Spoken

Other Offices

Suburban Northbrook
5 Revere Drive
Suite 200
Northbrook,  IL  60062
Child Support
Child Support is one of the most important obligations that a parent has to a child, yet so many parents fight about it. Sometimes having answers helps avoid needless litigation. Below are 13 FAQs that should help parents understand their rights.
Child Support FAQ

Child Support Guidelines in Illinois

Number of Children and Percentage of Supporting Parent's Net* Income
1 - 20%
2 - 28%
3 - 32%
4 - 40%
5 - 45%
6 - 50%

* Net Income is calculated as follows: All income minus state and federal taxes, Social Security and Medicare payments, mandatory retirement contributions, union dues, healthcare premiums, and prior child support obligations. Student loans and other self-employed expenses may be subtracted as well.

Under what circumstances can the Court deviate from the statutory guidelines for child support?
If the obligor-parent's income is extremely high the Court may deviate from the statutory guidelines and order to pay child support solely based on the child's needs so that the child and/or the primary residential parent do not receive a windfall.

What does the child support amount NOT include?
Child Support does not include day care costs, school tuition, extracurricular activities, medical insurance costs, out of pocket medical costs and the like. All such expenditures are in addition to child support and may be ordered to be shared among both parents.

The parent who is the primary residential parent earns greater income than the supporting parent. Does this impact the child support amount for the supporting parent?
No. In Illinois it does not matter what the other parent who is the primary residential parent earns. The sole focus is on the obligor's income and the child's needs.

Can both parents agree to change the child support amount and would it be valid?
No, the Court's role is to ensure that the child's best interests are protected. As such, the Court alone makes the decision whether the child support should be modified. Any other modifications without prior Court's approval are not valid.

When does the child support terminate?
Child Support terminates when the child reaches the age of 18 or upon graduation from high school, whichever comes later. It may continue through the child's college. And it may terminate upon the child's emancipation at an earlier age.

Does the child support stop on its own when the child reaches the age of majority?
No, you must have a Court order to terminate child support. The Court may not know of your child's reaching the age of majority or emancipation unless you bring it to the Court's attention.

I lost my employment, do I have to continue paying child support?
Yes, all child support changes must be approved by the Court. If you lost your employment you must bring it to the Court's attention and request a modification or abatement until you find new employment. The Court may monitor progress of your job search.

The supporting parent's income increased, will child support increase as well?
There has to be a substantial change in circumstances to increase or decrease child support. Salary increase may result in the increase in child support amount but it must be brought to the Court's attention by way of Petition to Modify Child Support Based on Substantial Change in Circumstances.

The supporting parent quit his/her employment to avoid paying child support and now is seeking a reduction in child support based on his/her new, lower income.
The law prohibits voluntarily unemployment or voluntarily underemployment in order to lower child support obligations. If the Court finds that the loss or change of employment was voluntary and primarily done to lower the child support obligation then the child support amount will not be modified to a lower amount. The parent who went through a drastic reduction in income will continue to have to pay child support on the higher income he/she enjoyed previously.

What can the Court do if the supporting parent fails to pay child support or pays less and owes child support?
The Courts are very strict in reviewing child support matters and may order severe punishment, such as loss of driving privileges, loss of passport and jail time until the amount is repaid.

Is there a statute of limitations on child support?
No. If you owe child support, it will never go away, the obligation will continue forever. If you die before you satisfy your child support obligation the other parent may continue to seek repayment through your estate.

I can't afford repaying arrears for child support, will bankruptcy help?
No, child support and other marital obligations are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
Child Custody
Child Custody is a very sensitive area to litigate. Sometimes during a contested divorce process parents lose sight of the most important thing, their children. We help keep focus on both, children and family finances.
Child Custody tries to balance the best interests and safety of children with their parents desires. We hear what our client's desires are, help explain what each custody arrangement means and which custody arrangement may be best suited for our client. This happens before our clients dive into the litigation process and incur expense.

What experience or education distinguishes your lawyers from others?

Our two lawyers' combined legal experience is of over 40 years.

Our broad exposure to various court systems allows us to serve our clients in the courtroom in an intelligent manner.

Jane Kim is admitted to practice in the following court systems:

State of Illinois

State of Florida

U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, including
member of the Trial Bar

U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida

United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit

United States Tax Court

What distinguishes your law firm from others?

She cried and the judge wiped her tears with my checkbook. ~ Tommy Manville.

It does not have to be this way if Collaborative method is utilized. You take the decision-making away from the Judge and into your own hands. Be the Judge!

Jane Kim is trained in Collaborative Dispute Resolution. But if collaborative method is not an option Jane Kim has a broad and extensive courtroom experience.

* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.