The Law Office of Judi Smith focuses on helping innovative individuals, businesses and non-profits that are seeking to make a difference in their world through leveraging their ideas without compromising their ideals. With my business and non-profit background I understand what it takes to provide legal services in the context of your mission.
The Law Office of Judi Smith was founded in 1996. However, in 2001, I took an internal position with a major non-profit where I served for eleven years in a variety of operational management and legal positions. In 2011, I elected to again open my firm. I am proud to say that my former employer is a current client.
• Protest of trademark registration for potentially infringing trademark.
• Represented an author in a book publishing contract.
• Defending an IRS National Research Project employment tax audit.
• Defending a State of California sales tax audit.
• Provided guidance on self-employment taxes for angel investment limited partnership.
• Acquisition of all of the assets of an ongoing business.
1155 S. Washington Street
Naperville IL 60540
I am happy to discuss possible approaches to a problem without charge.
I will try to work with clients to determine a flat rate for a given matter. Flat rates work for some projects but not for others.
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Other hours by appointment.
I am personally very mission driven. As a result, I love to help others who are trying to make their world a better place - whether that is through business or mission.
I enjoy working with clients who have educated themselves on the issues and potential solutions. My overall practice approach is to educate clients and provide them with a resource to help them achieve their goals.
I am willing to review documents prepared by clients.
I am more than happy to coach clients to represent themselves. As a professional responsibility, I am equally willing to suggest to clients when self-representation in a complicated area, such as an IRS audit, may not be in their best interest.
While an employee in the non-profit sector, I served in the capacities of General Counsel, Director of IT and Director of Strategic Services. In addition to legal responsibilities, I was also responsible for the strategic direction of Information Technology and, in close conjunction with the CFO, contributing to the overall strategic direction of the organization.
I am a better lawyer because I have spent time as a senior mid-level manager in non-profit business. I understand first-hand the issues that businesses and non-profits are dealing with day-to-day. Because of my experience, I am able to quickly get up to speed with my clients and my approach to legal problems is very practical.
My biggest strengths are that I am very curious and intelligent. I love designing elegant and efficient solutions to challenging problems. In style, I am direct and forthright in my dealings.Personal interests:
I like the creative arts. Some say that I am a passable photographer. I play the bass trombone and guitar. I am trying to learn to play the piano with some skill. I have won two bronze Telly Awards for video that I have edited.
* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.