Law Office of Eugene M. Siegel

Firm Overview

Family law matters including but not limited to: dissolution of marriage, legal separation, nullity of marriage, child custody and visitation, child support, spousal support, property division, pension issues, asset and debt division, paternity cases, and modification of existing court orders.

I started practicing law in 1980 in Long Beach. In 1981, I moved to Hawaiian Gardens and practiced there as a solo practitioner until 2000. I then moved the Law Offices of Eugene M. Siegel to Downey and have been practicing there as a solo practitioner since 2000.

Example cases

I have represented clients in hundreds and hundreds of cases. Due to privacy concerns, I cannot divulge their names or case numbers.

Examples are as follows: In one custody matter, I represented the dad. Mom wanted primary physical custody with visitation to Dad. Dad wanted equal time. After trial, the parties ended up with a 50/50 timeshare. Both Dad and Mom had two days during the week each week and the parties alternated weekends.

In another case regarding asset and debt division, husband had wife sign a deed giving over her interest in the house to him. Several years later, during the divorce, my client, the wife, indicated that she was forced to do that and did not understand her rights. At trial, I was able to set aside that portion of the transaction as to husband so that she shared equally in the community interest of the property.

These are just two examples of the many successful results I have been able to acquire for my clients.

Main Office
8301 E. Florence Ave.
Suite 200
Downey  CA  90240
  • (562) 862-7541
  • (562) 862-2790


Free Initial Consultation?
Yes. It varies anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes so that I can understand fully what the client is seeking and how I can best serve them.
Services Offered For Fixed Fees?
I charge hourly for all services I render in family law and divorce related matters.
Hourly Rates
$250 to $300, dependent on the case.

Office Information

Office Hours
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Saturday afternoon hours for appointments are available. For emergency after hours, please call (562) 862-7541 for a 24 hour voicemail.
Office Manager
Cheryl A. Siegel
Emergency After Hours

How did your firm decide on the primary area of practice(s)?

Family law and divorce related issues are my primary area of practice. I get great satisfaction in helping people at difficult times in their lives and there is no more difficult time than going through a divorce, especially when there are children involved. It is very gratifying to help people during these difficult times. I'm able to analyze the situation well. I'm able to make sure my clients get maximum results and maximum benefits, whether it be on custody and visitation issues, support issues, or asset and debt division. Simply stated, I chose my primary areas of practice because over the years I found that I am excellent at what I do.

What is your firm's point of view regarding clients educating themselves on legal issues?

I think it is wise and important for the clients to understand, or at least have some essential understanding of the legal issues in their case. Throughout the representation of my clients, I try to explain to them the legal issues and how they relate to the facts of their case. I try to explain to my clients what the options are for them from a legal perspective. I try to explain to them what the law says and what I can do for them and how I can use the law to help them get the maximum results on the issues important to them.

Is your firm willing to review documents prepared by clients?

When a client comes in to see me regarding a divorce or family law related issue, I want them to bring in every single document and piece of paper they have relative to their case. It is important for me to review the documents with the client so that I understand what has already been filed in this case and what information has been exchanged. The best and most efficient way for me to help a client in their case and to make sure they get the result they want is to look at all the paperwork that has already been generated in the case before I have been retained. That paperwork may require me to amend or change something, or file other documents with the court.

Is your firm willing to coach clients who want to represent themselves?

I coach and go over testimony with clients who I represent. Experience tells me it's difficult to coach clients who are going to represent themselves in court, but I do have people and will see people who come in to see me on a consultation and want advice on subjects for which they are going to represent themselves.

Eugene M. Siegel

For the past 29 years, I have been a solo practitioner with a primary emphasis in divorce, nullity and legal separation, and all related issues. During that time, I was associated with the Law Offices of Dorothy L. Carfrae from November of 2000 through January of 2002.

I have practiced in the family law area for 30 years, trying hundreds of cases. I have served as a Judge Pro Tem for many years and have heard many family law cases. The experience of deciding cases as a Judge Pro Tem and trying and handling cases for almost 30 years has made me an excellent attorney. Other attorneys have rated me with an AV-Rating with Martindale-Hubbell, so other attorneys believe I am excellent as well.

My clients know that I care about their case because just about every one of them knows that I treat their case as if it were my case. I make recommendations to the clients based on what I would recommend and do if it were my own case. I am able to look at cases from a perspective of the judge because I have sat as Judge Pro Tem in family law for many years. I can tell the clients what I think the alternatives are. I tell the clients what I think the court will decide based on the facts as I have seen them. I am very open and very honest with all my clients. For instance, when we're discussing support I will prepare the Dissomaster, which is the same computer program used by the court. I show the client, based on their income and their spouse's income, what the range of spousal support could be and what child support could be based on the number of children and the amount of time each parent has with the children. I am very open and honest with my clients. I tell them what I think I can do for them. It's very important to me that my clients understand what I can do for them, what the range of results are in their case, and what potential results are in their case. I want them to know how I can help them and what I can do for them. It is very important that my clients understand the issues and their case. My philosophy is very simple: When I go to court with my client, I make sure that they are better prepared for anything that could happen in court than the other side. Doing that maximizes the results for my clients, which is important to me and important to them.

Personal interests:

Golf and sports events. I also make it a practice to read every relevant family law case that is decided by the upper courts that will impact my practice and representation of my clients in all family law and divorce related matters.

  • Bar Number: 90939
    California , 1979
  • Western State University College of Law
    Juris Doctor , 1978
    Fullerton, CA
    Law Library Service for two years, assisted students with legal research.
  • St. Johns University
    Masters , 1974
    Queens, NY
    Majored in Government and Public Administration. Worked on campaign for governor.
  • Long Island University
    Bachelor of Arts , 1972
    Brooklyn, NY
    Majored in Political Science.

* Nolo has confirmed that every member attorney has a valid license and is in good standing with the state agency that licenses lawyers. Any past disbarments and suspensions (with possible exceptions for minor violations or nonpayment of dues, in our discretion) will be indicated accordingly in the badge. Member attorneys are required to notify Nolo immediately if they become the subject of any disciplinary action by any state licensing agency.